The most loved wee sodjer in the kilted warriers

Ungus 15:25 16 Dec 2015

I would like you all to raise your glass to a wee fella who won an award after 20 years in the colours,a wee man loved by all including the queen and the recipient of the Tarrogon trophy by BHS for brightening the lives of many. Ladies and gentlemen I give you Cruachan the 3rd mascot of the Royal Regiment of Jocks may he have a long and happy retirement.

Forum Editor 15:52 16 Dec 2015

Eh?

wee eddie 16:13 16 Dec 2015
  Ungus 16:43 16 Dec 2015

Sorry I forgot you southerners and those who haven't been in a highland regiment wouldn't know that Cruachan is a Shetland pony. Originally the mascot of the Argyll & Sutherland highlanders but laterly the Royal Regimentof Scotland. If you don't know Cruachan is a mountain in Argyll and a war cry of clan Campbell. Clan Campbell also formed part of the Black Watch along with Clan Fraser Clan Munro and Clan Grant in the early 1700s when raised as pretty much Celtic Gaelic police force in the highlands and were later enrolled into the British army. Cruachan 3rd retired after 20 years and has been replaced by Cruachan the 4th. He has been awarded the Tarragon award from the British Horse Society for his work in improving the life of humans by making them happy. As a man with strong links to a highland regiment and a man who loves all things equine I thought some would have found it interesting but then again I may have been wrong. I have some Shetlands in my fields as pets they are small tough and strong and can be bloody stubborn.

Forum Editor 17:32 16 Dec 2015

"I have some Shetlands in my fields as pets they are small tough and strong and can be bloody stubborn."

At the age of five, I learnt to ride on a Shetland pony and can vouch for the facts that they are small, tough, strong, and stubborn.

bumpkin 19:10 16 Dec 2015

* I thought some would have found it interesting but then again I may have been wrong.*

You were.

Ungus 19:25 16 Dec 2015

Bumpkin

I take it you have know interest in either horses or the British army.

bumpkin 20:36 16 Dec 2015

I don't seem to be alone.

Nontek 22:26 16 Dec 2015

In 1952, as a serving member of the RASC, I was attached to the Argyl & Sutherland Highlanders on a posting to British Guians (now Guyana). When 1st Black Watch replaced the A&S I remained with the Scots regiment for a further six monsths, before returning to UK and then on to Singapore - those were the days!!

Flak999 22:26 16 Dec 2015

bumpkin

You're not!

john bunyan 09:12 17 Dec 2015

Ungus

I have an interest in the armed forces, and admire the Scots regiments I have met. In 1942 the RM and Argylls formed the "Plymouth Argylls" - see

Force Z

I have less interest in horses (they taste nice), but clearly the mascot was a special case. It irritates me that there are 500 horses in the British Army and only 330 tanks! see

Horses vs tanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)