Hot Topics

Modern life and diesel engines

Graham* 09:38 23 Aug 2016

Why do people buy expensive cars, Mercedes, Jaguars, etc. and get them with a diesel engine?

oresome 08:50 29 Aug 2016

"Because that's what they want"

But should people be able to do what they want simply because they have the money and without regard to the wider needs of society as a whole?

OTT_B 08:53 29 Aug 2016

But should people be able to do what they want simply because they have the money and without regard to the wider needs of society as a whole?

Yes, pretty much. You are free to judge them on their car purchase based on your own interpretation of societies needs in the same way as they may interpret yours.

Quickbeam 15:52 29 Aug 2016

oresome

That was the attitude that the soviet Union took when they gave their people the Trabant!

oresome 10:12 30 Aug 2016

I understand your views regarding a free society and being able to spend one's money as you wish.

I note that many roads in cities have been reduced to one lane with the introduction of bus lanes and other roads have 2+ occupancy lanes so there is a clear pressure on available road space and parking at the end of a journey has similar issues.

Of course if you don't agree with the premise that expensive cars tend to be bigger or feel it's your right to occupy whatever space you can afford then I think we'll finish up in one long nose to tail queue with nowhere to park when we eventually get to wherever we're going.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

HP's ZBook Firefly is a genuine MacBook Pro rival

Megan Thee Stallion's Aeon Flux-inspired music video is the perfect lockdown tonic

iPhone hackers have had access to iOS 14 'since February'

French Days 2020 : dates, sites participants & bons plans