Mobile Phone Companies Profit

Pine Man 10:45 30 May 2017
Answered

When I first left school one of my first job was delivering bread door to door. The person training me said that I had 240 customers and if I overcharged them all by a penny each week I would make an extra pound. Yes it was a long time ago and I didn't do it!

Up to date now and my mobile phone bill shows £9.23 by direct debit each month but every month I get charged £9.24. The company has 25 million customers and if they apply the same charging to all of them it amounts to £250,000 a month.

Nice little earner and who is going to complain about one penny?

AllisonAngel 11:00 30 May 2017

You are right @Pineman

lotvic 17:46 30 May 2017

Perhaps they're 'Rounding' Have you read the small print to check if that is the case?

bumpkin 20:35 30 May 2017

Perhaps they're 'Rounding'

I had a Milkman like that, if was £8.48 he would round it up to a tenner untill I started keeping a check and cancelled all milk. Dairy wrote to me and asked why.

Burn-it 22:53 30 May 2017

Ring them and complain. Also tell them you are going to inform BBC Watchdog and Offwatch.

Forum Editor 23:10 30 May 2017

"Perhaps they're 'Rounding'"

I don't see how that could be the case - rounding to what?

Forum Editor 23:17 30 May 2017

"Also tell them you are going to inform BBC Watchdog and Offwatch."

I recommend ignoring that advice. There is no such authority as Offwatch, and BBC watchdog is unlikely to be interested in a scandal involving 12p a year.

Just phone and ask why there's a difference between the direct debit payments on the mandate and the amount actually taken. There's going to be a simple answer - probably an accounting glitch of some kind. If you don't tell the company it will just continue. There's no foundation for thinking the same thing is happening 25 million times a month - most people would be on the phone the first time they spotted it, and the overcharge would have to be refunded, or credited to the account.

bumpkin 23:27 30 May 2017

This was years ago when I was busy and earning well and could not be bothered with such things. Now I am retired and with plenty of spare time I keep a watch on expenditure but still nowhere as closely as I should do.

Menzie 23:59 30 May 2017

In Britain you have it so good with the mobile phones. I didn't know this until I stayed in the US for a bit and then Canada.

When I was in the US I opted for a pay as you go sim on the T-Mobile network. Topped it up as I wasn't expecting to make lots of calls.

Got a few incoming calls that were international and to my shock my phone mid-conversation said I had no money left on my account. Called T-Mobile to discover what was happening and I was paying for incoming calls! Incoming calls were the same as outgoing, so picking up an international call meant that I was paying international charges even though I didn't make the call. I never answered it after that.

In the US and Canada "free incoming calls" are one of the bullet points on mobile phone plans. It's so common in the UK I didn't even know there was such an option.

In Canada‚Äč I'm on a plan which is $50 a month, thing is that price is before taxes so to get the actual cost you have to add 13% to that total. Every single network does that, the price they advertise doesn't include the taxes and in some cases other fees.

Pine Man 12:09 31 May 2017
Answer

I took the FEs advice and contacted my provider and wish I hadn't!

We seemed to go round in circles with me being told that every year prices are increased by the Retail Price Index and that accounts for the difference in price. I tried to explain that the difference between £9.23 and £9.24 was not 2.6% and was told it was! I explained that my bill used to be £9 and it was increased by 2.6% to £9.23 and that is what is shown on my online account but I always get charged £9.24. but they kept repeating that it was a 2.6% increase that accounted for the difference.

I'm afraid I lost the will to live and we parted, not the best of friends.

oresome 15:41 31 May 2017

Ah, so it looks like the actual amount is £9.234 and one computer rounds it down to £9.23 and the one that actually takes the money rounds it up to £9.24.

As for talking sense to people, we went in a Coop supermarket and purchased four £3.00 meal deals and offered the assistant £12.00. She rung it up on the till and asked for something like £14.60. We explained we had four £3.00 meal deals and she said, yes that's right, £14.60 please!

It took the supervisor and a calculator and 10 minutes to finally arrive at £12.00.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Iglooghost's hyper new music video gives a mutant take on Monument Valley

When is the best time to buy an iPhone?

Quel antivirus gratuit choisir pour un PC ?