Might you have been mis-sold PPI?

Old Deuteronomy 12:24 07 Aug 2018

At my wife's instigation I claimed and have just got a nice payout.

I didn't post this to boast but, to get people who think they may have a claim, to get on with it before it is too late when the deadline passes next year. Even if you get nothing you will know where you stand. You won't go past the deadline wondering "what if". Nothing to lose and, potentially, much to gain and there's no penalty for making an honest claim that is not upheld.

wee eddie 13:01 07 Aug 2018

My Mortgage is 12 years paid off, so all is long in the past.

When I bought this Flat, my Lawyer told me that I had to take out this Policy or I wouldn't get the Mortgage. I explained to him that I was a self-employed Restaurateur and that it wouldn't pay out if I failed. He replied that without it I wouldn't get the mortgage, so I signed up, as it was the best deal of those that he had recommended.

oresome 13:21 07 Aug 2018

Highly unlikely because I don't buy on credit.

However if I had a pound for every time I've been approached regarding PPI I'd be considerably richer.

Pine Man 15:12 07 Aug 2018

I paid my mortgage off a long time ago and when I did I told the bank clerk not to forget to cancel the standing order for the mortgage payment and the mortgage protection insurance.

His response was that he had already canceled the mortgage payment standing order but he had left the mortgage protection insurance running because, in his words, 'it is excellent value'! I could not get him to understand that it was pointless having it as I no longer had a mortgage but he did, reluctantly, cancel the standing order.

bumpkin 15:54 07 Aug 2018

wee eddie, did you get it refunded?

wee eddie 17:51 07 Aug 2018

No, I have assumed that because it was so long in the past and the Woolwich ceased to exist, my chances would be zero.

Do you reckon that it's worth a go?

Forum Editor 18:22 07 Aug 2018

oresome

"Highly unlikely because I don't buy on credit."

Never had a mortgage then?

Forum Editor 18:23 07 Aug 2018

I applied, and got my refund several years ago.

bumpkin 18:29 07 Aug 2018

Do you reckon that it's worth a go?

Nothing to lose, so why not.

wee eddie 19:18 07 Aug 2018

Thank you. Many of the Papers will have got lost but I'll look out what I can and have a go

oresome 21:06 07 Aug 2018

Never had a mortgage then?

Only two and the last one was taken out in the early 80s when PPI was in it's infancy.

Endowment mortgages were the flavour of the day and had their own mis-selling scandal.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Create a glowing superhero

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleures prises CPL