Many thousands of Londoners have had their fill

Forum Editor 13:54 19 Apr 2019

of this. but in an interview, one of the organisers said that they 'were left with no other option' when their previous protest failed to achieve its objective. Surely, another option would be to engage people in debate, or march peacefully, or capaign on the internet - anything but deliberately setting out to disrupt your fellow citizens' lives day after day.

All of us are being affected by climate change, and its impact is going to increase. I doubt that many people - apart from Donald Trump and his sycophants - can seriously continue to claim that there isn't a problem but...

Are these protesters justified in blocking a big city's streets for days, and announcing that they intend to 'paralyse' Heathrow airport in an attempt to browbeat the government into action? Does anyone have the 'right' to behave as if his /her viewpoint is the right one, and we must all be intimidated into accepting it without debate?

I'm amazed that so may demonstrators can afford to take such a lot of time off work to dance the days and nights away, with not much other than the occasional trip in the back of a Police van or vandalising a building or two by way of diversion.

Who said where are those water cannons?

daz60 16:27 21 Apr 2019

The rich countries have failed,too little success stories in relation to the rhetoric as well as being too wedded to present economic ideologies.

These protesters may seem hypocritical to some,given their need to travel and communicate implies use of polluting technologies, but then like the protesters of old fighting for workers rights or even Human Rights they are willing to take a stand in the face of 'conventional wisdom'.

Amazon is still being depleted,Africa also,extractive technologies rule and even if you replace a tree every minute how long before that once verdant landscape is renewed and returns to what it once was,if ever.

We are the problem and the solution,unfortunately our attitudes bind us to the status quo,either we are willing to make serious sacrifices,as the FE implied,or let our descendants sink in the mire of our selfishness.

During this Brexit travesty people have said that "we/you should look after our own first",well how about looking after EVERONE'S interest,pollution has no boundaries why do we.

phlinx 21:23 21 Apr 2019

Climate change is a very tricky problem, the simple answer is that we need to rapidly reduce the population, but who is going to volunteer for the chop?? The alternative is using technology to cure the problem, but fusion power has been promised for years and still looks no closer, so no truly clean energy in any significant amounts for the foreseeable future and without that, not much will change.

One small change in the UK, that would help slow pollution, is a ban on shops opening on Sundays. Look how quiet the country was today, far less cars, much less waste and pollution. A very simple idea to implement, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Forum Editor 22:34 21 Apr 2019

"....but then like the protesters of old fighting for workers rights or even Human Rights they are willing to take a stand in the face of 'conventional wisdom'."

They are not taking a stand in the face of conventional wisdom. They are simply saying what we all know already - that climate change is a real problem that must be addressed.

Their naivety lies in thinking that disrupting the lives of their fellow citizens is somehow going to galvanise everyone into action. They don't have a realistic plan that will achieve their zero emission goal of course, they just bang their drums and glue their hands to roads, saying that the government must act now to halt biodiversity loss, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions to net zero by 2025. That is simply not going to happen, no matter how loudly the drums are banged.

In fact, the UK government's first carbon budget covering the period between 2008 and 2012 has been met, and we are currently on track to outperform the second and third budget periods covering the period from 2013 to 2022. By 2017 our carbon emissions were 43% lower than in 1990. Our fourth budget period between 2023 and 2027 is going to be a much bigger challenge, as is our target of reducing carbon emissions by 80% of the 1990 figure by 2050.

That is going to require all of us to make changes in our lifestyle, and that's where the government can help, by stimulating research into scientific ways of reducing emissions without increasing the impact on society to unworkable levels. We will achieve the zero emission figure in time, setting unrealistic targets achieves nothing. The third 'demand' - that our government must create and be led by the decisions of a Citizens’ Assembly on climate and ecological justice is ill-conceived. We already have enough committees and consultation groups - we don't need yet another expensive assembly to muddy the waters.

Quickbeam 06:58 22 Apr 2019

To be honest I don't think that we're actually doing too badly. We have identified where we're going wrong, and where we need to make changes, which as you pointed out will hurt someone somewhere or another. But in 1974 when I got my first car, I would never have imagined that I'd witness the iminent demise of the internal combustion engine.

Being green minded in '74 was to make sure the separate ring pull on a can got binned, in '84 it was to stop using deodorants and burger boxes containing CFCs, in the 90s we started doing international agreements, in the new millennium we started having international treaties with obligation targets. We're moving in the right direction

These protesters seem to think that we've only just discovered all the environmental harm since Attenborough's plastic in the oceans shocker, and that we can reverse things in a day.

Environmental recovery has been a slow work in process, and will continue to be over the next few centuries, which scaled into the 46 years analogy, will be a couple of minutes. The scale that these naive protesters seem to want is in the blink of an eye...

amonra9 13:27 22 Apr 2019

I have just come back from France and went through Paris a few times. I wonder if we could import the CRS police force for a a short while to sort out the sitting demonstrators ? They don't waste time talking nicely to sit-downers, either you obey the law and MOVE, or you are flung into a nearby wagon with no respect for age or dignity. They are not well liked in France, but they get the job done and worry about the consequences later.

LastChip 09:59 23 Apr 2019

"Ask yourself this , how would you feel if you went on the holiday of a life time on a tour of say Japan , a long way off and very expensive and when you get their all the must see places are off limits because the countries student population is doing a mass protest about something that matters."

Just be thankful you're not in Sri Lanka.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Stadia review

When 12 countries take on the same brief in a globalised world

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Les meilleurs bracelets connect├ęs (2019)