Many thousands of Londoners have had their fill

Forum Editor 13:54 19 Apr 2019

of this. but in an interview, one of the organisers said that they 'were left with no other option' when their previous protest failed to achieve its objective. Surely, another option would be to engage people in debate, or march peacefully, or capaign on the internet - anything but deliberately setting out to disrupt your fellow citizens' lives day after day.

All of us are being affected by climate change, and its impact is going to increase. I doubt that many people - apart from Donald Trump and his sycophants - can seriously continue to claim that there isn't a problem but...

Are these protesters justified in blocking a big city's streets for days, and announcing that they intend to 'paralyse' Heathrow airport in an attempt to browbeat the government into action? Does anyone have the 'right' to behave as if his /her viewpoint is the right one, and we must all be intimidated into accepting it without debate?

I'm amazed that so may demonstrators can afford to take such a lot of time off work to dance the days and nights away, with not much other than the occasional trip in the back of a Police van or vandalising a building or two by way of diversion.

Who said where are those water cannons?

Forum Editor 18:48 19 Apr 2019

The pink boat has at last been dismantled by police, who had this to say this afternoon:-

So far today we have made 106 arrests. This brings the total to 682.

"The serious disruption the demonstrations are causing to people in London and beyond is unacceptable and we completely understand the concern it is causing to those who are disrupted by it"

What a pathetic response from a service that is there to uphold the law. I don't want my 'concern' about the illegal activities being understood, I want it acted upon. Petitioning the government is one way to get noticed, as are organised legal marches. Then there are MPs - they are there to listen to the concerns of their constituents.

Anything but the orchestrated obstruction of people who are going about their lawful business. Millions of us are concerned about climate change, and no doubt lots of us support research organisations and all kinds of initiatives in all kinds of ways.

We don't need it rammed down our throats by a bunch of activists, ill-informed celebrities and hangers on who think they know better than we do.

john bunyan 21:21 19 Apr 2019

I quite agree. Some who have been arrested have been released without charge and gone straight back to their latter day flower power friends. Many are heavy users of aeroplanes etc yet are stopping the use of public transport. A bunch of hypocrites . Arrest and fine heavily, double up for repeat offences. Issue injunctions etc

BT 08:49 20 Apr 2019

Then there are MPs - they are there to listen to the concerns of their constituents.

'bout time quite a few of them took note of this. It seems that most of them follow their own agendas and take little notice of what their Constituents want.

morddwyd 09:43 20 Apr 2019

Of course there's an alternative.

We should be researching somersetting that does for humans what myxomatosis has done for rabbits.

However, global warming is only a short term problem.

The planet can recover from it just as it recovered from global cooling during the Ice Age.

The bigger problem is plastic.

The planet is drowning in it and will die.

It should be banned. We did without it for thousands of years and we can do without it now.

LastChip 10:26 20 Apr 2019

"I don't want my 'concern' about the illegal activities being understood, I want it acted upon."

Blame George Osborne. Cutting millions from Police budgets has resulted in a Metropolitan force that can't control demonstrations, let alone knife crime and has let knife crime get completely out of control.

Blame Theresa May, who won't accept, lack of money is the cause of the problem.

Yes, I know the Labour Party nigh on bankrupted the country and goodness knows, they'll do it again if they get half a chance and something had to be done. But the severity and short termism that Osborne promoted was financially suicidal.

I dread to think what the final bill for us tax payers will be when all the overtime is paid to the officers brought in to get this under control.

The bottom line is, it won't make an ha'porth of difference to MP's who clearly after Brexit have demonstrated they don't listen to anyone.

Forum Editor 17:23 20 Apr 2019

KEITH 1955

What has you post got to do with the subject under discussion?

alanrwood 19:53 20 Apr 2019

Many thousands of Londoners have had their fill

They certainly will have had their fill when London is submerged under the rising sea levels. Some still don't get the seriousness of the situation.

rickf 20:28 20 Apr 2019

I am sure most, if not all here are old enough to remember having your windscreens splattered with millions of insects when driving on the motorway. Now, nothing. They have disappeared. Just an indication of how serious it is. Wait till the real inconvenience comes along but I guess most, if not all, will be long gone.

Forum Editor 23:24 20 Apr 2019

"Some still don't get the seriousness of the situation."

I'm quite sure they don't, but selfishly shutting down major streets for days, so people and public transport vehicles can't use them is not the way to set about making your point. Sitting on the roof of commuter trains so they can't leave the station is not the way either.

These people are acting as if they are the only ones who realise how serious climate change is, and it's their job to teach us all a lesson.

rickf 23:57 20 Apr 2019

Like I said before, People are now talking. Someone has to bring up the agenda. I am sure we were all young and enthusiastic once upon a time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Last Chance: Win an Honor Band 5

Acclaimed illustrator James Jean's comic book past gets celebrated in new book

Best Apple tech gifts for Christmas 2019

Noël (2019) : idées cadeaux & guide d'achat !