Hot Topics

Man-made energy crisis or not?

HondaMan 18:16 07 Jan 2020

Over the last few days, my wife and I, doubtless like many millions of others, have been visiting the sales. Every shop, apart from small independents, have fan heaters blasting hot air directly down on you as you come through the door. Why? Much of the heat is wasted, especially when the shop doors are locked in the open position as many are, and where they are free to swing, much of that air is also wasted. we are all being asked to save energy and yet this practice continues to the detriment of all.

I have no objection to the shops' interiors being warmed, but surely there must be an alternative placement for these heaters that being directly above you on entry. Hot air still rises!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:47 07 Jan 2020

It so those standing outside for a "ciggie" are warm :0)

wee eddie 21:03 07 Jan 2020

Air Curtains are very effective and not that expensive to run

Menzie 23:57 07 Jan 2020

Many stores waste energy and seem to cope. The ones that amaze me the most as to the waste are the fridges in supermarkets that they keep the ready to eat fruit cocktails and salads in.

They have no door at all or even those plastic slithers that you put your hand through.

Seems to be a huge waste of electricity. I assume they must be designed to be efficient in the role.

Cymro. 11:34 08 Jan 2020

I suppose it's much the same as all these new houses that are built with the radiators underneath the windows. I don't suppose the staff at these shops are bothered as it's not them personally who have to pay the heating bill.

wee eddie 16:09 08 Jan 2020

I thought that you always put the Radiators underneath a window.

This was the theory, I was told.

The window cools the air in the room and therefor the air falls, creating a draft. The Radiator warms the falling air, thereby mitigating the draft

HondaMan 14:36 09 Jan 2020

Rads under windows? If you think about it, two things occur: 1. It is the only wall against which you will probably be unable to stand anything and 2. All the hot air rises against the window and is kept there by the curtain.

Complete comparable waste of energy

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Huawei Mate Xs could’ve been the first great big-screen foldable

Creatives in China won't find this flag on Adobe, Getty or Shutterstock

The best games on Apple Arcade

Microsoft Surface Duo confirmé : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique