Hot Topics

LoveFilm DVD service closed by Amazon

simonjary 14:46 14 Aug 2017

Anyone else on the Forum use LoveFilm and upset by its closure at the end of October?

I have Amazon Prime, and even adding Netflix won't replicate the huge range of movie and TV content available on LoveFilm.

Online download services very much weaker than the old DVD postal-rental.

Menzie 16:10 14 Aug 2017

D...V...D... What is that?

It was bound to happen at some point, the issues with streaming are vast.

Shows disappear on Netflix as quickly as they appear when licenses expire.

However the DVD method I imagine is costly not only in licensing fees but the cost of sending the DVDs through the postal system.

There are still DVD rental shops around in many towns and cities, however due to them having fairly small memberships they are quite expensive.

Old Hooky 17:38 14 Aug 2017

I moved to Cinema Paradiso when Amazon bought LF. Good service; wide selection of titles, especially foreign and arthouse stuff, if that is your taste.

Forum Editor 18:40 14 Aug 2017

"I have Amazon Prime"

Me, too, and I hardly have time to watch the stuff we record or watch on demand from Terrestrial TV channels, Amazon, and SKY.

I had a brief affair with Love Film about five years ago, but like so many affairs it didn't last. To be honest, I didn't know it was still going.

The world is being swamped with entertainment content - much of it is absolute dross.

Menzie 19:35 14 Aug 2017

It looks like streaming is going to be very fragmented down the line. Similar to PC gaming having multiple clients for digital game purchases there will be various streaming services all vying for attention.

There are already region exclusive streaming services. Disney has also recently pulled out of their licensing deal from Netflix with the intention of starting their own service.

In the future there may be a streaming service for Paramount, Sony Pictures and all the other big studios. Individually those tiny monthly subscriptions aren't bad, however several a month will quickly add up.

Quickbeam 20:19 14 Aug 2017

I'm beginning to think that I must be unusual in having enough to watch on Freeview with catchup.

Compared to the old 3 channel days, I've never had it so good.

Aitchbee 21:00 14 Aug 2017

Charity shops have seemingly 'struck gold' with the steady supply of unwanted DVDs and CDs that now get donated ... long may it continue.

JohnnyHastings 22:34 14 Aug 2017

Although not perfect , LOVEFiLM provided a good service with a great range just not available on streaming. Netflix is very poor.

simonjary 10:30 27 Aug 2017

We're trying out an alternative to LoveFilm, Cinema Paradiso. Anyone else use this?

Teabag. 11:14 27 Aug 2017

It looks quite good and I like the option to cancel if I want rather than be stuck into a long contract. The range of dvd's look OK and if the can deliver (pun) the titles required we might give them a go. We tend to visit the cinema 3 or 4 times a month and this could supplement some obscure ones we have missed.

Forum Editor 22:32 27 Aug 2017

"Cinema Paradiso. Anyone else use this?"

Yes, we started a free trial last week, because my wife read a good review. With a catalogue of 90,000 films it looks promising.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

5 video games we want to see as movies

You've watched Parasite, now read the storyboards in comic book form

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures lumières connectées (2020)