Lords Debate on Tax Credit Cuts

oresome 17:42 26 Oct 2015

I have little knowledge of tax credits, but reading a snippet from today's debate, someone cited a firefighters family potentially losing £2914.

I thought firefighters were paid a reasonable salary, well above the minimum wage, so what's this all about?

Is it because they have a large family to support or perhaps work in the capital and have high housing costs?

sunnypete 18:47 26 Oct 2015

When I studied for DMA, many years ago, I learnt that a finance bill could not be thrown out by the Lords. Have things changed in this respect too?...

spuds 18:58 26 Oct 2015

There as been an awful lot said about people being worse off, due to losing tax credits and various other benefits. Yet I can never understand how some people, get these credits, when they seem reasonable well off, compared to some sections of society.

The same might apply (again) to some people who have never worked, house full of kid's, sometimes with different father's, rent, community charge paid et al and the state, or should I say the tax payer as to foot that bill.

x123 19:11 26 Oct 2015

The upper limit to claim tax credits is ridiculous, I have heard that MP's even claim it.

If it had the upper limit, for working people at the dame rate of the benefits cap, £23,000. I think most people would be happy with that.

I have never claimed tax credits, never really heard of them till the latest furore..

csqwared 19:35 26 Oct 2015

sunnypete

As I understand it the Lords are arguing this a welfare issue, not financial, and are thus able to intervene.

oresome 20:17 26 Oct 2015

A House of Lords amendment to delay the implementation of the government's tax credit cuts by at least three years has been passed by 289 votes to 272.

canarieslover 20:32 26 Oct 2015

Problem with Tax Credits is that they can be abused. I worked with people who would not work any overtime for the amount of weeks necessary to present figures to obtain the credits, and then work all the overtime possible for the rest of the year. Obviously if they earned at the same rate for the whole year they would not even qualify for the credits, but the system allows this abuse. This does not apply to everyone receiving these credits.

x123 21:03 26 Oct 2015

Hence my suggestion that an upper limit is imposed. This would help those on poor pay and cut the welfare bill.

Why have households on £50,000+ to have child benefit restricted yet they can claim tax credits.

Bonkers.

bumpkin 21:12 26 Oct 2015

I don't know what they are but if they are some kind of benefit to prop up low incomes then why can they not be given an appropriate name. Tax credits implies to me some kind of Income Tax relief.

john bunyan 21:39 26 Oct 2015

I think the cuts should be timed with the increases in minimum wage and higher tax free income such that the working poor do not loose out. Curious that the Left are helped by the chamber they dispise!

oresome 10:47 27 Oct 2015

I certainly didn't appreciate that someone on twice the average wage was entitled to tax credits.

One man's wage increase is another's price rise, so it remains to be seen what the effect of increases in the minimum wage will have on prices. It may be that the lower paid are back to square one as their wage increase is taken up by price increases.

I go along with the high wage, low tax, less benefits ideology, the only problem being that I'm retired so don't receive a wage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2018

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)