linux users on pcadvisor ?

acein1 20:56 22 Dec 2010

hi folks , are there any "linux" users on here????
ive just taken the plunge and so far its great,but it takes a bit of getting used to

Coltch 08:59 23 Dec 2010

Which Distro are you using?.

I'm currently using Fedora 14, which after using Debian for a few years takes some getting used to.

morddwyd 09:03 23 Dec 2010

Oh Dear.

I fear you might get a reply from the forum's greatest Linux advocate, ronaldonald or whoever his present incarnation is!

acein1 12:20 23 Dec 2010

hi coltch, "linux mint 10"

ukpostcode 12:51 23 Dec 2010

And it's a good distro for new users to use;-)

robin_x 13:17 23 Dec 2010

I found Puppy Linux great on my 12(?) yr old laptop when I dug it out the wardrobe.

128MBRAM. Not the latest of pretty desktops but it worked and setup my wireless dongle without a squeak. Also fine with Logitech wireless mouse.

Got me out of an emergency when I broke my new laptop.

Matt Egan 13:29 23 Dec 2010

It changed it from being virtually unusuable to being a nippy little workhorse. I'm a big fan. I am honour bound to point out that I also use a Mac, a Windows 7 PC and a Vista laptop that is, frankly, a dog.

More here: click here

Forum Editor 14:09 23 Dec 2010

he inspired me with talk of Ubuntu on his netbook, and I followed suit.

My Acer Aspire one is now nipping along like a nippy thing, and is a joy to travel with. I'm sticking to Windows 7 and Microsoft Office on my other machines because I need the file compatibility for work, but the Ubuntu netbook experience has me hooked.

interzone55 15:16 23 Dec 2010

I tried Ubuntu on my Dell Mini 10 netbook and it worked like a dream except for one tiny problem - I couldn't get a working driver for the WLAN card, which kind of ruins the whole "sitting in McDonalds drinking coffee surfing the web" netbook experience.

Al94 15:31 23 Dec 2010

Wasn't for me, I bought an Acer Aspire One netbook with Linux and abandoned it for XP, it flies and does everything I want it to do much more easily. Drivers were an issue for me.

acein1 16:08 23 Dec 2010

thanks for all replies.
just for your info.im running "mint" on a 640gb h/d
aspire x3200,amd phenomX3, 3gb ram, and its flying,
i can honestly say that i can everything i did b/4 ob vista cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

No need to scan sketches into your computer with Moleskine's new smart pen

How to use 3D Touch on iPhone

Comment importer des contacts d’un iPhone à un autre iPhone ?