Hot Topics

Let's spare a thought

Forum Editor 18:29 13 Jan 2010

for the people of Haiti, who are struggling to cope in the aftermath of a huge earthquake. Chaos reigns, and it's looking as though thousands may have died.

To make matters worse there's the fear that there may well be aftershocks. We may think we have problems in our country, but at least we don't have to deal with that kind of disaster.

Al94 20:58 13 Jan 2010

Totally agree, the extent of the devastation is yet to become clear, another huge tragedy for a country beset by poverty and other issues. I was heartened to see that yet again a charity I have been involved in fund raising for (which was set up initially by a Cornwall club of an international organisation I am a member of) by this morning had a team mobilised to assist. I post this link by way of raising awareness rather that a direct appeal and I hope in the circumstances the "golden mouse" will permit. click here

Quickbeam 07:37 14 Jan 2010

Not a lot I can say sitting here in comfort, except to pass some coin on to salve my conscience.

Sapins 09:00 14 Jan 2010

I think there has been enough awareness raised by the media. I now await the removal forthwith of your link, unless there is one rule for our posts and another for the FE's?

Sapins 10:10 14 Jan 2010

I know I don't have to click on it, but, the rule is, or was, no Charity Appeals.

anskyber 12:13 14 Jan 2010

I found it a rather odd sight to see the news item which showed a large number of christian missionaries getting on the first plane out of the place.

Ah, I must still be misunderstanding christian principles.

anskyber 12:33 14 Jan 2010

Probably so but I was simply pointing out the irony of belief systems like religion which appear to have shallowness when tested.

Forum Editor 19:36 14 Jan 2010

some people read what is written, rather than what they imagine is written. It's the old story of certain people being so eager to take a snipe at someone they can't be bothered to stop and engage their brain first.

I made no reference to an appeal of any kind, nor did I in any way suggest that anyone should donate money, and as far as I can see no-one else has.

I simply asked that we spare a thought. Another person posted a link to a charity, with the qualifying comment that "I post this link by way of raising awareness rather that a direct appeal and I hope in the circumstances the "golden mouse" will permit."

That made no difference to those who couldn't wait to jump in with both feet of course - they were too eager falling over themselves to wave the rule book and make nasty remarks.

What has happened in Haiti is quite appalling, and it comes in the aftermath of several other natural disasters that have hit the country recently. We're talking of the poorest country in the Western World, and we're talking about people who are powerless to help themselves - The Red Cross estimates that as many as 50,000 people have been killed, and around 3 million are affected in one way or another. It's thought that 100,000 people are sleeping out in the open, with no food, no water, no possessions, and no hope.

That some of you have seen fit to try a bit of point-scoring because I didn't delete someone's link to a charity with which he has worked to raise funds in the past is a disgrace in the circumstances - you should be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves.

Forum Editor 19:41 14 Jan 2010

"Is PC Advisor magazine making a donation to this appeal?"

Which appeal would that be, and what possible relevance would it have to this thread in any case?

OTT_B 21:48 14 Jan 2010

Ignoring the comments made on this forum, it's amazing how disasters like this bring out the best in some and the worst in others.

Some have made concerted efforts to help, by sending relief, engineers to fix the infrastructure and cash donations.
By contrast, others have run away, started scamming and looting is reportedly occurring. Undoubtedly corruption will be set in soon amongst officialdom.

It does make me wonder how the UK population would react if such a large scale disaster happened here.

Al94 22:25 14 Jan 2010

I wasn't going to post again on this subject but some of the comments made have changed that view.

Imagine being in the position that the survivors of the earthquake in Haiti are in, homes and possessions wiped out, friends & family killed - missing - injured. No safe water supplies, infrastructure in ruins and law and order apparently breaking down. Living rough because you have nowhere to go and too frightened of aftershocks to go into any buildings standing. Think about it - what are your immediate needs?

Yes, I posted a link to raise the profile of the Shelterbox organisation, I commend its work in quickly getting to disaster zones and efficiently providing urgently needed basics. The work of this organisation was also coincidentally covered by Sky News in many of their reports during the course of today. I have just returned from a local meeting where we approved funding for the purchase of a number of Shelterboxes.

I did not make any appeal for support for the charity in the knowledge that to do so would break forum rules.

I am amazed and disappointed that a thread originated by The Forum Editor on this subject has also gone down the route of petty squabling by some individuals as a result of my link.

I hope you never find yourselves in such a hopeless scenario.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Trump issues executive orders to restrict TikTok and WeChat in the US

Yuke Li's 'pencil' drawings are entirely digital

Different Think: Microsoft is out-designing Apple

Les meilleurs bracelets connect├ęs (2020)