LED Strip Lights Energy Saving

JYPX 18:25 30 Mar 2017

I am looking at replacing the small (530mm T5) flourescent tubes under my kitchen cabinets with LED tubes. The flourescent tube is 13W and the LED version is 6.4W.

I reckon that will be a 50% energy saving. :)

But 2 different retailers are claiming a 90% or 95% energy saving. Clearly there is some detail that I am missing. :) But what is it?

1">[click here

href

Old Deuteronomy 16:08 31 Mar 2017

Thanks wee eddie and Bumpkin.

oresome 16:21 31 Mar 2017

I agree that the energy saving over the CFL is around 50% from the published figures.

As with car manufacturers and consumption and emission figures, lamp manufacturers can be just as creative with published figures that you'll never achieve.

I took a couple of bulbs back last week that both failed within an hour or two despite having a claimed life in the thousands.

bumpkin 20:49 31 Mar 2017

I took a couple of bulbs back last week that both failed within an hour or two despite having a claimed life in the thousands.

As with most things buy a reputable brand from a reliable source not always the cheapest. If they failed that quickly then a false economy.

Forum Editor 22:23 31 Mar 2017

On the subject of starters.ballasts - I think you'll find that with the lamps you are buying, the existing starter has to be removed - nothing more.

JYPX 19:24 13 Apr 2017

Many thanks for all the replies.

I am very impressed with the energy savings achieved from simply replacing all the light bulbs with LEDs and the tubes (in the Kitchen) are simply a case of thinking: What else can I change?

bumpkin 20:08 13 Apr 2017

I have replaced most of my lighting with LEDs. Try a few at a time to start with to see if they suit you as we are all different in our individual preferences.

Aitchbee 21:29 13 Apr 2017

What else can I change?

If you've got lots of LED lamps that plug into the mains, Remote Controlled Wall Sockets are worth considering. Typically 1 programmable remote control can individually switch ON/OFF 4 sockets. Aldi and Lidl usually stock them during the run up to Xmas. {ie. from late Summer [TIC] }

bumpkin 22:26 13 Apr 2017

*If you've got lots of LED lamps that plug into the mains*

Which most people don't.

*Remote Controlled Wall Sockets are worth considering. *

Why? don't the lamps or sockets have their own switches.

Aitchbee 22:45 13 Apr 2017

bumpkin - works universally with ALL electrical appliances not just lamps. I am sure many people [ with mobility issues ] would find them a boon.

geoff96 22:54 13 Apr 2017

If you've got lots of LED lamps that plug into the mains,

All my LED lamps are plugged into the mains.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Nest Hub Max review

Pantone has invented 294 new colours

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

Google Pixel 4 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs