LED bulbs that make a buzzing noise

chub_tor 20:57 10 Mar 2018
Answered

I have slowly been converting all the light bulbs in our house from tungsten filament to LED and I have purchased from a wide range of sources - ebay, local garage, discount shops etc and they have all worked fine. Today I happened to be in B&Q so purchased four 5.5W bayonet cap candle shaped bulbs to fit in some wall lights in our conservatory. Unlike my previous purchases all of these new bulbs exhibited a pronounced 50Hz hum and had to be taken back. Has anyone else had this result?

octal 21:30 10 Mar 2018

That's interesting, I've been converting over to LED lamps, but that seemed to aggravate my migraines a bit and converted back to halogen filament lamps in work and living areas, which now seem fine. LED's are all basically blue and the colour temperature is determined by the filter, so there is still a substantial amount of blue in the spectrum even after filtering to get 2700K and it can be sensitive for certain people apparently, unfortunately, I seem to be one of them.

In answer to your question, yes, I have come across it, in fact I have LED spotlights in my bathroom from B&Q and they buzz. They are not too bad and I'm not that concerned because we are not in the bathroom long enough to annoy, my wife first noticed it, she can hear things that are not there, but she is correct on this occasion because I can hear them if I listen carefully.

I thought it might have been the switch mode power supply feeding them, but I've been in the loft to check and it wasn't that. One of the jobs while I was up there was to put filtering and the back of each lamp as they were creating merry hell with my shortwave radio reception with noise.

I won't be getting them from B&Q in future, I'll look at the Philips or Compton lamps that I've used in the past without any problems. No disrespect to B&Q because they supply some pretty good stuff, but lamps, no.

rdave13 21:54 10 Mar 2018

she can hear things that are not there

Not on topic but I think that comment is a bit unfair. When I was a tad younger I could 'hear' Bats when no one else could. It was like a clicking at the back of my head. Like someone clicking their finger bones. Some can 'hear' higher frequencies compared to others I guess and vice versa.

octal 21:56 10 Mar 2018

rdave13

I jest, it obviously went over your head, sorry.

rdave13 22:11 10 Mar 2018

octal thanks for your comment.

Quickbeam 06:11 11 Mar 2018

Things that go buzz in the night....

john bunyan 13:38 11 Mar 2018

I recently had a bathroom redone and it has 12 GU 10 bulbs. Halogen were hot, and I have replaced them with “Cree” LED’s - 5w = 50W , glass housing ,”warm white” from Wickes. They have a central orange/ yellow bulb so the light is excellent- not blue at all, and they are cooler than halogen, and hopefully far longer lasting.

wee eddie 15:17 11 Mar 2018

My first thought would be that there is a badly made joint/junction somewhere within the fitting.

p.s. a buzzing noise can't be considered at synonymous with "low" power consumption

bumpkin 16:20 11 Mar 2018

Buzzing on anything electrical is not a good sign, it needs investigating.

chub_tor 19:29 11 Mar 2018

Some interesting comments but in response to wee eddie I have since replaced the B&Q bulbs with some purchased at a local discount store called Buyology (don't know if this is just a local Plymouth store or a national chain) and put them into exactly the same light fitting. No buzzing heard at all now so to my mind it is a feature of the bulbs and not the fitting. Incidentally the fixture did not buzz when it had tungsten bulbs either. I paid £5 each at B&Q and £2.20 at Buyology, same wattage same bayonet cap fitting.

wee eddie 20:32 11 Mar 2018

Did it occur to you that the bulbs might have been faulty

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

The best smart speaker: Apple HomePod vs Google Home vs Amazon Echo

Augmentation du tabac : les meilleures applications pour arrĂȘter de fumer