LED bulbs that make a buzzing noise

chub_tor 20:57 10 Mar 2018
Answered

I have slowly been converting all the light bulbs in our house from tungsten filament to LED and I have purchased from a wide range of sources - ebay, local garage, discount shops etc and they have all worked fine. Today I happened to be in B&Q so purchased four 5.5W bayonet cap candle shaped bulbs to fit in some wall lights in our conservatory. Unlike my previous purchases all of these new bulbs exhibited a pronounced 50Hz hum and had to be taken back. Has anyone else had this result?

rdave13 21:54 10 Mar 2018

she can hear things that are not there

Not on topic but I think that comment is a bit unfair. When I was a tad younger I could 'hear' Bats when no one else could. It was like a clicking at the back of my head. Like someone clicking their finger bones. Some can 'hear' higher frequencies compared to others I guess and vice versa.

rdave13 22:11 10 Mar 2018

octal thanks for your comment.

Quickbeam 06:11 11 Mar 2018

Things that go buzz in the night....

john bunyan 13:38 11 Mar 2018

I recently had a bathroom redone and it has 12 GU 10 bulbs. Halogen were hot, and I have replaced them with “Cree” LED’s - 5w = 50W , glass housing ,”warm white” from Wickes. They have a central orange/ yellow bulb so the light is excellent- not blue at all, and they are cooler than halogen, and hopefully far longer lasting.

wee eddie 15:17 11 Mar 2018

My first thought would be that there is a badly made joint/junction somewhere within the fitting.

p.s. a buzzing noise can't be considered at synonymous with "low" power consumption

bumpkin 16:20 11 Mar 2018

Buzzing on anything electrical is not a good sign, it needs investigating.

chub_tor 19:29 11 Mar 2018

Some interesting comments but in response to wee eddie I have since replaced the B&Q bulbs with some purchased at a local discount store called Buyology (don't know if this is just a local Plymouth store or a national chain) and put them into exactly the same light fitting. No buzzing heard at all now so to my mind it is a feature of the bulbs and not the fitting. Incidentally the fixture did not buzz when it had tungsten bulbs either. I paid £5 each at B&Q and £2.20 at Buyology, same wattage same bayonet cap fitting.

wee eddie 20:32 11 Mar 2018

Did it occur to you that the bulbs might have been faulty

bumpkin 20:53 11 Mar 2018

If a light bulb buzzes something is wrong.

chub_tor 15:00 12 Mar 2018
Answer

I purchased four bulbs from the rack at B&Q, all the same brand, all the same wattage and all four were tested and exhibited the same humming noise, which is why they were returned for a refund. The shop assistant was told the reason for the return. Was it a bad batch? Are they all faulty? They all lit up fine. What I do know is that four different bulbs from a different store, same wattage light up and do not hum.

I will close this thread, it is just meandering on and all I really needed to know was if anyone else had LED mains powered bulbs that hummed. Thanks to all for their comments.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

50 Cent is Iron Man in these comic book cover reissues of hip hop classics

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Mac : comment forcer la fermeture d’une application ?