Landline phones and door bells.

bumpkin 15:17 23 Dec 2015

Whilst I understand that modern technology is advancing rapidly why is it that landline phone and doorbells only ring when you are in the bath, on the toilet or eating your dinner. This is one for the experts, I mean how do they know, some kind of sensors or something:-)

Happy xmas to all.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:23 23 Dec 2015

My daughters only ring when

a) they want something

b) as soon as we sit down to eat regardless of what time we have the meal.

I keep telling my wife, that is what answer phones are for!

Don't need a doorbell, have a dog instead, dog also doubles as the vacuum cleaner, probably going to change name to Dyson ;0)

bumpkin 18:04 23 Dec 2015

* dog also doubles as the vacuum cleaner, probably going to change name to Dyson ;0)*

I have 2 that will pick up most things but not their hair, very similar to a Dyson in that respect.

Quickbeam 06:47 24 Dec 2015

Santa's open chimbley method is the only way he can complete his busy Christmas delivery schedule with the tight time scale allotted by the Elves. Can you imagine how much longer it would take if he had to wait for everyone taking a bath to make themselves decent before opening the door?

spuds 15:34 25 Dec 2015

"Can you imagine how much longer it would take if he had to wait for everyone taking a bath to make themselves decent before opening the door?"

I suppose it could be even worse, if the person was a female half decent, who invited him him for a small tipple!.

But back to the original subject. With the Christmas on-line shopping, most of my neighbour's are out during the day, which leaves the courier companies, usually leaving items at my home, for later in the evening distribution. Between five and seven usually fits in fine with our routines, and collections. Deliveries though, can be a little patchy ;o))

No difference I suppose to the regular nuisance telephone calls, telling us that our or someone else's bank owes us a fortune in unclaimed money.

bumpkin 16:14 25 Dec 2015

My deliveries usually seem to be done by people with white sticks that cannot see the bell or the large notice pointing to it. Phones are a different issue, how do they know where you are and when to ring to cause the maximum of inconvenience.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:59 25 Dec 2015

Big Brother's watching you :0(

QuizMan 09:55 26 Dec 2015

According to my mother, when she picks up her landline to make a phone call, her TV switches on.

spuds 12:09 26 Dec 2015

Quizman

The mysteries of modern technology!.

On very rare occasions, our wireless door chimes have been known to go off, and nobody as been there. Which I suspect, is that a neighbour's door chimes have cloned onto our frequency. At least the garage door doesn't fly open, when this happens ;o)

HondaMan 11:23 29 Dec 2015

Spuds, ditto on the link to the neighbours. I've had the same problem.. Cured it by fitting and old ship's bell complete with ropework handle. Works a treat except everyone for 100 yards around knows when I get visitors!

spuds 11:42 29 Dec 2015

HondaMan

You do not happen to live around the corner from me ;o).

We had one similar family that had the ship's bell mounted beside the front door. Problem was, that some people were very reluctant to use it, because of the noise, and were more inclined to knock the door, with lesser results.

Sadly, when they recently moved, the ship's bell went with them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)