a la recherche du temps perdu

john bunyan 21:01 19 Feb 2016
Answered

In search of lost time.

WE have had nostalgic threads before, I know, but today I saw one of the very few red telephone boxes in my area being removed. It was underused and looked sad and tatty. I remember their salad days , with their own smell, black money box where you put 2 d in , then pressed button A if the person answered and button B to get money back. The Red , round, post boxes were smartly painted in pillar box red. I know we all have mobile phones and many hardly ever write letters, but I remain nostalgic for these, and many other , old icons.

amonra 18:19 21 Feb 2016

All this talk of lightbulbs reminds me of my grandfather who only switched on "the lectric" so that he could light the gas mantle. It was a far superior light to the yellow 40 watt ? bulb in the adjacent gas fitting. It was also a very quiet and relaxed atmosphere in the parlour with just the hiss of the gas and the steady tick-tock of the clock on the wall. Life was far more tranquil in those days.......

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:27 21 Feb 2016

Exactly Ticking Clocks where are they now? all seem to be battery driven quiet things :0(

wee eddie 18:31 21 Feb 2016

All my battery clocks have a "tick" but not necessarily a "tock"

Brumas 23:18 21 Feb 2016

*Fruit Bat /\0/* here is my beautiful old vienna regulator wall clock, bought back in the days when i had some money!

Couldn't be without it, sounds corny I know but its tick is like the 'heartbeat' of our wee bungalow and when it chimes it has such a lovely tone.

bumpkin 23:39 21 Feb 2016

Great clock, I only have a repro of something similar that I bought years ago, one look and anyone can tell it is a load tat, want to sell it-))

Brumas 09:15 22 Feb 2016

bumpkin. A Frayed Knott ;o}

john bunyan 22:36 22 Feb 2016

I found a picture of a favourite car bought in about 1959 or so, a 1948 MG TC. Wish I still had it - paid about £300 I think. Sold it as I could not afford some repairs in about 1963.

Old MG

Brumas 22:41 22 Feb 2016
Answer

john bunyan, I paid the same price for my clock!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo A9 2020 Review

B2B design is softening up

New Apple products predictions 2020

Les meilleurs cadeaux pour fans de Star Wars