Just one tiny little mistake?.

spuds 10:44 20 Dec 2015
Answered

The video shown in this post, might be heart rendering to some people. But I wonder how many people realise that this type of incident can happen to anyone, for the slightest and most likely routine of operations, or hospital care.

In my own region, there have been a number of similar incidents, even resulting in manslaughter charges against hospital staff and consultant's. In some of those cases, compensation claims have been made, which have taken a number of years to finalise, due to incorrect evidence being provided.Or the amount of damage being assessed. Sometimes this can leave the victim and their families in a void, as to how the future may lay.

The NHS deal with million's of people every year, and most of those cases are dealt with high satisfaction by all concerned. But it is the incident's highlighted in the video, that brings reality home, and how some have to cope, at very short notice. It can be even more terrible, if this occurs, at what we would call a festive season, and merriment is about.

In the video, it shows what was, and what is now, and how a family as possibly overcome some of the obstacles, suddenly laid before them.

The video click here

RV510 11:09 20 Dec 2015

And it will get worse. Money is now unfortunately put before care and lack of staff is another issue, if more money was put into the NHS instead of foreign aid and paying benefits to immigrants and those that have no intention to earn their own living there's not much hope of improvement. How about clamping down on all the Companies that make millions a year and seem to get away with paying no Taxes?

spuds 13:15 20 Dec 2015

RV510

The point why I raised this issue, was not about funding, but more about what might and could happen, and how it is being dealt with.

The young girl in the video, had a normal life cut short, within a few moment, but looking at the video, she and her mother, and possibly those around her, are at least attempting to turn life around, even though there are going to be obstacles in her and their way.

Most people never think of these things, or what others might be doing on a daily basis, just to live!.

Forum Editor 14:05 20 Dec 2015

The NHS deals with over a million patients every 36 hours, and there were 15.892m hospital admissions in 2014/15, 31 per cent more than a decade earlier (12.102m).

In comparison with the healthcare systems of ten other countries (Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland and USA) the NHS was found to be the most impressive overall by the Commonwealth Fund in 2014.
The NHS was rated as the best system in terms of efficiency, effective care, safe care, coordinated care, patient-centred care and cost-related problems. It was also ranked second for equity.

Where we lag behind some other countries is in the amount of money we spend on health care, relative to our income. The UK figure is 8.4% of GDP, compared to almost double that amount in America, and is appreciably lower than the Netherlands, Germany, France, Denmark and Canada, for instance.

With such a large number of surgical procedures there are going to be errors, it's inevitable, and it's relatively rare, but of course every incidence of a surgical error has the potential to have a catastrophic effect on someone's life. The truth about life is that we hear of the tragic cases - like the one on your link - because they are emotive. We don't hear about the vast majority which have satisfactory outcomes.

My own son was critically ill in hospital for several weeks when he was three years old, and I can vividly recall the feeling I had when I was told that his life was in danger. Thankfully he made a complete recovery, due to the wonderful standard of care he received from the medical and nursing staff. Not everyone is as lucky, and frankly I don't know how any parent copes with the fact of a child's death or serious diasbility due to surgical error.

It happens however, and it would continue to happen, no matter how much money was thrown into the NHS. That we do need to do something to help the NHS is unarguable, but the fact is that most people would complain bitterly if they had to pay more in taxes to fund increases.

No government can ever win on this issue, and we have to accept that we are very lucky indeed to have quality health care for everyone, free at the point of delivery. Many of us know just how lucky through personal experience.

cruiser2 14:39 20 Dec 2015

I had my appendix out in 1938 when I was four years old at Manchester Royal Infirmary. One of my aunties was s Ward Sister so I was well looked after. I am now 81 years and apart from a big scare I have never had any ill effects. This year I have operations to remove cataracts on both eyes which have been successful. I do not now need to wear glasses. So most of the time the NHS gets it correct. When it doesn't, the result can be very bad for the patient.

bumpkin 16:24 20 Dec 2015

A sad video to watch but in reality there always has been and always will be mistakes by us humans. The NHS has accepted responsibility in this case but the same thing could have occurred in a private hospital. No amount of funding can prevent these things.

spuds 11:51 22 Dec 2015
Answer

bumpkin

"The NHS has accepted responsibility in this case", which is quite true, but there are far to many cases that are far to long drawn out, that causes further stress for those concerned. And it can get even worse, when a blatant cover-up is later found.

"No amount of funding can prevent these things." Which again I would agree is true, but how many times do we hear that lack of funding leads to these type of things, when in truth it's perhaps human error that was responsible.

I'll tick this post as answered, it appears to have run its course.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Create a glowing superhero

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleures prises CPL