Just another puerile post ;o}

Brumas 21:45 18 Jul 2018
Answered

Looking back at Archie44’s Duracell Post set me thinking on how prices, and income of course, have risen over the 42 years since I had a small Sweets & Tobacconists in rural Yorkshire. So, after a thorough search of my cupboard I found the January 1975 edition of Shaw’s Guide to recommended fair prices.

Unfortunately I couldn’t answer Archie’s question but it did encourage me to have a nostalgic root through it. I’d say 95% of it’s contents we didn’t sell but looking through the cigarette section certainly shocked me. I stopped smoking before we bought the shop so I was never tempted to smoke away any profit.

e.g. 20 Senior Service- 39 1/2p

How our habits and what we eat have changed ; over 3 pages of biscuits, a full page of tea and only one column of coffee. I am rambling on a bit but it reading through it is certainly an eye opener.

Anyone wanting to know the price of a box of 16 Bile Beans, or anything else - you only have to ask ;o}}

roger.roger 22:10 18 Jul 2018

I remember around 1960 being sent to the corner shop for a sachet of shampoo, my older sister had a hot date, can't remember how much it was. Thing was the hot dates turned into something else and a hurried wedding was arranged.

You can laugh about it now but then it was deadly serious.

So a sachet of shampoo circa 1960 please. :-0

Aitchbee 22:35 18 Jul 2018

I remember going down to Drayton Parslow in early 1975 [basically an ex-Army Barracks] a little village in the middle-of-nowhere, on my initial course with BT [ involving climbing telegraph-poles, Brumas]... we got 60p-a-day subsistance money on top of our basic wage of £23 ... life was good then, only 30p-a-pint ;o]

wee eddie 22:41 18 Jul 2018

When I first went to work in London, petrol was 3/9 a gallon.

Which means that I could drive the 120 miles back to my parents in Suffolk for less than 12/- (twelve bob or 60p in todays terms)

Forum Editor 22:47 18 Jul 2018

Carters little liver pills?

Trebor refreshers?

Brumas 22:49 18 Jul 2018

roger.roger, I don't know about 1960 old pal but a sachet of Silvikrin cost 4p in 1975!

Brumas 22:52 18 Jul 2018

Forum Editor, Regular 16p and Family size 32p.

Brumas 22:54 18 Jul 2018

Aitchbee, aye and for the morning after, Aspirins - 100s were 15p ;o]

Brumas 23:03 18 Jul 2018

Forum Editor, oops, didn't see the refreshers which funnily enough were not listed - we used to sell lots and lots of them. The nearest to it were Swizzels-Matlow at just 1p.

Brumas 23:05 18 Jul 2018

wee eddie, can you remember how much you paid for your car?

Aitchbee 23:15 18 Jul 2018

Brumas, my mum used swizzels to cover up the numbers on her cards when she went to bingo, but that was back in the sixties. Lidl have got a great selection of sweets - midget gems [32p a bag] are one of my favourites but Im surprised they haven't had a name change 'case little people got offended.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)