Jeremy Corbyn's 'questions from public'

Dragon_Heart 01:43 17 Sep 2015
Answered

What a great idea, certainly more honest than the 'paid for' questions in the past.

This less 'theatrical' approach to PM's question time was greeted with "no one would be more delighted than me " if PMQs could become a "genuine exercise in asking questions and answering questions", lets just hope this can be extended to the rest of the debates in the house.

I must say I admire Mr Corbyn for, unlike others, not using Grecian 2000 !

wee eddie 01:55 17 Sep 2015

Let's not get too excited before he's completed his first 100 days.

Dragon_Heart 02:04 17 Sep 2015

Why ? Will his hair of turned black by then :-)

I assume like most CEO / employee meetings these questions are all 'pre asked' !

Forum Editor 07:11 17 Sep 2015

"I assume like most CEO / employee meetings these questions are all 'pre asked' !"

In theory the Prime Minister does not know what questions will be asked, but government departments have a pretty good idea, and they will brief the PM extensively, prior to the Wednesday session.

The Leader of the opposition is the only member of the house who can ask more than one question - he gets to ask six.

Quickbeam 08:07 17 Sep 2015

It was a very tame and polite parry session as they tested each other's guard.

That cant's last long, expect the first lunge in earnest within a fortnight:-)

spuds 09:54 17 Sep 2015

I noticed that it didn't take long for a reminder to go out, about the possible change from a pantomime to a more 'calmer' procedure's to questions in the house.

Give it a week or so, and lets see what happens, and whether the jolly tittering returns!

Forum Editor 17:37 17 Sep 2015

The whole point of PM questions is to give the government of the day a hard time - it's an ideal opportunity for the opposition to try to catch the PM out.

Jeremy Corbyn's insipid début was a complete waste of time - he has no doubt been advised by Labour old hands not to repeat the exercise.

Dragon_Heart 00:28 18 Sep 2015

.... and it's Labour's old hands that got then into opposition.

" ... an ideal opportunity for the opposition to try to catch the PM out " With respect FE I think Joe Public watching their elected members perform would like to see questions and answers that relate to them as individuals. Catching the PM out only generates a chorus of false laughter.

If the electorate wanted that they could watch TV sitcom from the US.

Quickbeam 07:22 19 Sep 2015

Are you saying they're use tapped laughter in parliament now?

Forum Editor 11:06 19 Sep 2015

"With respect FE I think Joe Public watching their elected members perform would like to see questions and answers that relate to them as individuals."

My immediate reaction that is to say that only a tiny percentage pf 'Joe Public' has the faintest idea about what goes on in parliament, never mind Prime Minister's question time.

The Whole point of PMQ questions (which you don't seem to have grasped) is to allow backbench MPs an opportunity to raise matters relating to their constituencies directly with the Prime Minister. Opposition MPs thus get a chance to raise matters that might otherwise never be dealt with - matters relating to Joe Public as individuals in other words. It also gives the leader of the opposition a good opportunity to harry the Prime Minister personally on the conduct of the government, which is the opposition's primary aim.

Obviously there's a lot of jeering and partisan shouting, but that has not always been the case - it started in the early 60's when Edward Heath and Harold Wilson gave vent to their personal dislike of each other.

Jeremy Corbyn's little bit of theatre was just that - it achieved nothing for Joe Public, and everyone in the House knows it.

oresome 17:35 19 Sep 2015

I made a point of watching with it being his first PMQ.

I wish he'd listened to some of the answers and formulated a further searching question on the same subject rather than moving on. Early days yet, so I'll reserve judgement.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)