Jackson & Sheikh

Kaacee 21:14 24 Nov 2008

Whilst i now understand that they have settled out of court, can anyone explain to me why an American citizen and a Saudi national should use the british law courts to settle a dispute that has absolutely nothing to do with this country, and who foots the bill for all the expense incurred.

peter99co 21:21 24 Nov 2008

Neutral Territory?

Kaacee 21:24 24 Nov 2008

peter99co

so is France, Germany,Australia etc.etc so why here?

wiz-king 21:29 24 Nov 2008

Cheaper!

peter99co 21:43 24 Nov 2008

The Loser usually pays?

interzone55 21:54 24 Nov 2008

It was a private prosecution and so there would be no cost to the taxpayer.

The Sheik has a house in London and lives here at least part of the year...

Forum Editor 22:54 24 Nov 2008

The people who are involved - this is (as alan14 points out) not a criminal matter,it's a civil action.

Why here? Contracts often include a condition to the effect that any disputes will be settled according to the law in a named country, and in this case I presume the contract was subject to British law.

€dstowe 06:37 25 Nov 2008

Is this anything more than an attempt to revive Jackson's career?

Create the publicity to bring his name into the public gaze again and then, magically as part of the settlement with the Sheikh published the songs in a new album.

Such has been the hysteria shown to this strange person in the past, they could expect a quick return on the £4.7M and more, much more.

Cynical?

Moi?

Never.

laurie53 08:52 25 Nov 2008

"Contracts often include a condition to the effect that any disputes will be settled according to the law in a named country,"

Source of much annoyance to me that any credit or other contract I sign is subject to "the laws `of England" even when that contract is agreed with a Scottish company, signed in Scotland!

Clapton is God 13:14 25 Nov 2008

"Is this anything more than an attempt to revive Jackson's career?"

Er, what career would that be?

Child molester?

Skin bleacher?

Loony?

interzone55 13:16 25 Nov 2008

Jacko was acquitted of the child molestation charges, so be careful what you say.

As for reviving his career, I don't think any new material is forthcoming, for which we can all be truly grateful...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Inside the iMac Pro - Apple's most powerful Mac yet

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?