I've mentioned the Kindle before,

Forum Editor 19:12 29 Sep 2010

but I've recently received one of the new generation 3G models, and it has prompted me to ask what you think - do you have a Kindle, and if so, how do you feel about it - is it, and its competitor e-book readers going to revolutionise the way we read?

Mine already has around fifty books on it (only 3450 to go before it's full), and I've taken it with me whenever I've been on the move for the past three weeks. I had a previous version Kindle, and this one is an improvement in terms of the display, it really is just like reading a printed page.

Add the email facility, the ability to store my files, and connect to the web free of charge using the 'experimental' browser (still some work to do on that, Amazon), and for £149 it's a very impressive bit of kit.

mammak 22:08 04 Oct 2010

I've been looking at getting one since I started reading e-books on my Blackberry.

Thank you FE, I've pretty much made a decision now.

morddwyd 09:19 05 Oct 2010

Yes, thanks to FE and all subsequent posters.

Hope to get one before long.

tullie 20:26 05 Oct 2010

Ordered a cover yesterday for my kindle,with a light,received today.No batteries required,runs of kindles power.

exdragon 17:06 10 Oct 2010

Which cover did you get? There seems to be a vast choice!

Forum Editor 17:15 10 Oct 2010

I have the Amazon chocolate brown leather one.

There is a vast choice, as you say - it's an obvious band-wagon, and lots of third-party makers have jumped on it. I wanted to keep things simple however, and I'm very happy with my choice.

My Kindle is now part of my life - it goes where I go. One of the best devices I have ever owned.

exdragon 09:37 23 Oct 2010

Thanks, FE - for encouraging me to spend another couple of hundred quid on technology! I want to travel somewhere now so I can take it with me...sad or what?

Forum Editor 18:42 23 Oct 2010

Take it everywhere you go. I have mine in my laptop bag, so I always have a hundred or so books to hand if I get some spare time in the day, and fancy a read.

That's the huge advantage of a Kindle - the ability to carry what amounts to a sizeable private library around with you. I also carry a couple of hundred PDF files on mine.

tullie 18:45 23 Oct 2010

Cant get the Kindle off my wife,any ideas anyone,besides physical violance?

morddwyd 19:39 23 Oct 2010

Mine arrived today, entirely because of this thread.

Quite impressed so far.

tullie - you're going to have to do the same as me, she wants one!

Forum Editor 23:17 23 Oct 2010

I hope you like your Kindle. Some people find it takes a little while to get used to the way e-books work, and to overcome a fairly natural (and widespread) aversion to reading large quantities of text on a screen.

It gets easier when you realise that the Kindle page really does look just like a printed page, only a bit smaller.

Amazon is the world's biggest book seller, and now sells more Kindle books than hardcover books. That's pretty amazing when you consider that the company has been selling hardcover books for 15 years, and Kindle books for 33 months.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Motorola Razr (2019) confirmed: Release date, price and specs

Inside the new Apple Mac Pro: an in-depth look at Apple’s most powerful hardware yet

MacBook Pro 16in review: Hands-on

Amazon Prime : prix, avantages et offre gratuite