I've been waiting 50 years for this remake!

Quickbeam 08:58 07 Jun 2019

The Dambusters

The original is actually still very good taking into account the limitations of pre-CGI effects. But on the plus side, they still had a couple of dozen operational Lancasters in the '50s to show a full squadron takeoff without any cinematic fakery. I always thought that if they just replaced the crap back projection effect of the dam breach scene with a 10 second CGI scene, it would still cut the mustard, B&W still works for the period dramatic effect.

And Guy Gibson's dog wouldn't have to be renamed to the rhyming digger as expected...

Belatucadrus 11:53 07 Jun 2019

I'm with you, tweak the explosion effects on the Richard Todd original and leave the dog alone. Any new film has too much to live up to and god forbid they serve up some Michael Bay, Pearl Harbour style bromance with cameos from Ed Sheeran or Harry Styles. That would in the modern parlance "Suck big time".

Quickbeam 12:14 07 Jun 2019

Lol!

Quickbeam 12:17 07 Jun 2019

The advantage of it becoming an HBO series is that it will contain a lot more of the back ground detail of the technical sort ,and also cover the third dam that failed.

oftmarshall678 13:06 07 Jun 2019

Have not heard of this before (sorry) but did a quick Google and wow, 1955... interested how it turns out. Will probably check the original first before delving into the remake.

Quickbeam 17:24 07 Jun 2019

oftmarshall678

If you've never seen the original it's well worth seeking out the full movie on You Tube, it's classic post war Boy's Own cinema.

This non CGI takeoff scene still makes the hairs rise on the back of the neck 50 years after first seeing it at the pictures...

john bunyan 17:29 07 Jun 2019

I wonder if they’ll change Gibson’s dog’s name to a more politically correct one?

Quickbeam 17:44 07 Jun 2019

It's going to be Digger...

morddwyd 10:00 08 Jun 2019

One of the regrets of my service career is that Upkeep (the actual bomb ) was on the secret list for my whole career and I never got "hands on" with it.

When I was working on Stingray (a super dooper active torpedo) at Boscombe Down in the 80s I had every excuse to see all they had on underwater propagation in the vast library, but I kept putting off until it was too late and I was posted.

I think I'm right in saying it stayed on the secret list longer than any other WWII weapon, including the nukes.

bremner 11:41 08 Jun 2019

Wiki states

In January 1974, under Britain's "thirty year rule", secret government files for both Upkeep and Highball were released, although technical details of the weapons had been released in 1963

john bunyan 12:04 08 Jun 2019

Slightly off thread, but although the Conqueror had Stingray, the CO used WW2 Mark 8’s to sink the Belgrano , also a WW2 item.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Nest Hub Max review

Lena Vargas on bringing life, fun and adventure to her art

iOS 13 release date, time & new features

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans