it is time to walk away from the EU

roger.roger 15:07 20 Sep 2018

and keep our money.

tusk says deal will not work

rickf 09:56 15 Nov 2018

Going back to the people is the only way to bring some resolution to this issue. It's not the perfect way but it's what we have left. The country is so split and the atmosphere so toxic that a some way of bring it back together has to be found.

Forum Editor 10:20 15 Nov 2018

"Going back to the people is the only way to bring some resolution to this issue."

I fail to see how that would bring resolution - it might cause even more unrest. We have voted once, and we should stick to the decision that we made then.

wee eddie 10:43 15 Nov 2018

A General Election is unlikely to make much difference, EU wise, that is.

Both parties are split with of Pro, and Anti, MPs in about equal numbers.

The comment about the Lib-Dems is laughable, much as they would like it to be, they have only marginally more impact than the Greens

There is no solution which will satisfy everyone

Old Deuteronomy 10:53 15 Nov 2018

I suspect Dominic Raab won't be the last to resign.

Esther McVey has gone now, although there are plenty of people on low incomes who will be happy to see her go.

rickf 11:06 15 Nov 2018

I fail to see how that would bring resolution - it might cause even more unrest. We have voted once, and we should stick to the decision that we made then.

I am sure you didn't know about the Irish border issue when you voted and many many others at the time. To pretend that you did know is laughable.The terms and implications have now come to light. People ought to be able to decide on an informed choice. Even the so called experts and politicians didn't consider the complications. The next vote should carry with it a percentage needed to achieve legality. This way once reached all can be more or less resign to it.

Quickbeam 11:17 15 Nov 2018

Twice she has now mentioned a third option within 24 hours.

Once last nght at Number 10, and just now in the commons she has stated that it's the current option, no deal or no Brexit.

What do we make of this?

martd7 12:05 15 Nov 2018

OD

I know many that will be overjoyed to see Esther McVey leave her job she lied in Parliament twice,the first time she had to apologise the second time she hasn't,I believe it was when she named charities that supported Universal Credit,they reacted by saying they didn't support UC in its current form

rickf 15:59 15 Nov 2018

Support of this daft deal are those who know that leaving the EU is idiocy of Darwinian award proportions, but are too cowardly to actually challenge those who say the 37% who voted to leave must be obeyed in the face of all evidence that the leave campaigns were both corrupt and a pack of lies.

Forum Editor 17:43 15 Nov 2018

"...the 37% who voted to leave must be obeyed..."

Well now, there's a nice example of someone putting a spin on things.

What you're inferring is that 34.7% of the entire electorate voted to leave (it wasn't 37%) and that's true but the entire electorate didn't vote. Only 72.21% of the people who were entitled to vote did so. The remaining 27.79 of them didn't so they don't count.

Of the people who did vote, 51.89% of them voted to leave. It's the number of people who vote that decides the outcome, not the percentage of the electorate. The referendum Act of 1975 states that 50% of total votes cast plus 1 vote is all that is needed to decide the outcome of a referendum.

It's no good whining about it after the event, saying (without justification) that the leave campaign was corrupt, and a pack of lies. What about the pack of lies that were told by the remainers - I suppose you believe everything that was said by them was the truth, do you?

A democratic process took place, and the voters made a decision. We all have to live with the consequences, in just the same way that we all had to live with the consequences when, in 1975 we voted to remain in the European Community after a previous government took us in (without any referendum) in 1972.

BT 18:01 15 Nov 2018

The remaining 27.79 of them didn't so they don't count.

Assuming that the 27.79% would be in agreement with which ever way the vote went, the result was an overwhelming vote to leave. I know it doesn't work like this but its a thought!

Watching the EU press conference this morning I got an overwhelming impression that from what was said the 'EU' have absolutely no intention of getting a 'good deal' on either side in fact the person doing the talking actually said that it was a damage limitation excercise on their part on behalf of the remaining 27 members and that they weren't in agreement with the 500+ page document he was waving about. Regardless of what happens in our Parliament the final outcome is totally in the hands of the 27 EU member states.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The best of Gamescom 2019

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs smartphones incassables (2019)