it is time to walk away from the EU

roger.roger 15:07 20 Sep 2018

and keep our money.

tusk says deal will not work

Quickbeam 08:50 23 Sep 2018

The walk away set still think that we'll be able to snap our fingers to get EU attention in our favour. A walk away scenario will leave us in a lonely fragile world position with no credibility and no control over anything, but a parliament that have full control of our newfound nothingness.

A no deal on bad terms will be an economic disaster, or in Boris speak, a suicide belt Brexit. We do need to still be on good terms however much humble pie May, Boris and Uncle Tom Cobbly and all need to choke on.

john bunyan 09:27 23 Sep 2018

What evidence did the Leave set have that the rest of the EU would agree a settlement that does not embrace their four freedoms? Maybe as a whole the EU export more than we sell to them, but in % terms , nearly 59% of our exports go to EU whereas less than 10% of theirs come to us. The situation we are in was entirely predictable, and Rees Mogg, IDS , Boris et al are a minority who , in years to come, will be shown to have been the authors of a chaotic period in our history. The whole Brexit issue is costing a fortune already, just in the loss in value of sterling . On a constitutional issue like this , it should have required a greater than one vote majority- the US senate needs a 2/3 majority to impeach a president, for example.

Mrs May is in a terrible situation, trying to carry out the decision of a referendum which went against the recommendation of the former Government and Opposition. We are in a mess of our own making, and I am sorry for the younger generation. Neither of the main Parties has a clue what to do.

john bunyan 09:29 23 Sep 2018

Sorry, error - I meant that nearly 50 % , not 59% of our exports go to EU.

Forum Editor 10:46 23 Sep 2018

"The situation we are in was entirely predictable"

That's nonsense, and is fairly typical of the kind of statement that is being made by those who, after the event, like to pretend that they had some kind of special foresight.

No country has ever triggered article 50 before, and nobody had any real idea of what would ensue, once it was done. The negotiation process that has been taking place between our government and the EU is new and previously untried - the EU negotiators are in exactly the same boat as we are - we are both reacting to what the other side says and does.

One simple fact remains - we shall leave the EU next March. What we should be doing, instead of wasting time bickering about who we can blame for everything, is getting on with preparations for the worst case scenario.

I have no doubt that those who are still unable to come to terms with our democratically arrived at decision to leave will still be complaining and finding reasons to blame anyone they can for years to come. The rest of us will be doing what needs to be done.

This is not the end of life as we know it, although to hear some people you might think it was. There is real fear in the EU that our exit may be the catalyst that starts some other countries along the same road, and that fear is colouring their negotiating strategy - they want to be seen to be making our journey as difficult as possible.

The next few months will be difficult, I wouldn't have Theresa May's job for all the money in the world. If we hold firm we will be fine, if we run around shouting 'we're all doomed' we will show ourselves to the world as a nation that is divided and indecisive - just what we don't need for our future trading relations. We are not doomed. We will survive and prosper, but it will take effort. A degree of optimism wouldn't go amiss at this point.

Pine Man 11:16 23 Sep 2018

What we should be doing, instead of wasting time bickering about who we can blame for everything, is getting on with preparations for the worst case scenario.

There you go again, anyone who disagrees with your view is bickering.

Speakers Corner - strong textThis is the place for lively and thought-provoking debate with other forum members.

What do you actually suggest that 'WE' do to prepare for the worst case scenarion?

Pine Man 11:18 23 Sep 2018

Not sure why 'strong text' appeared in the above post - maybe I was hitting the keys too hard;-)

roger.roger 11:41 23 Sep 2018

Perhaps the strategy was wrong

Because the democratic decision was to leave, I voted the other way, then it should have been put to the EU that we walk away. Full stop. Then it would be up to the EU IF they wanted to negotiate on any aspect of us leaving. The way it has been handled has been a half ar#ed attempt to appease Brussels.

john bunyan 12:02 23 Sep 2018

*Forum Editor *

Of course the situation was predictable. You clearly did not read the Cameron / BOE / Osborne views, some of which were admittedly too pessimistic in the short term between the Vote and now. However we are in a situation where Sterling has dropped to a point that prices are shooting up, companies are planning to relocate and other things too numerous to mention. Of course we “are where we are” and we need to look for a solution, but to suggest that the situation was not predictable is nonsense. Those who have spent years in multinational operations in other countries made accurate predictions of the end result. Please do not confuse realism with pessimism. We need to pull together to get through this and not keep harping back but don’t tell the under 25’s that all is rosy when most of them are very disappointed, that everything will be alright on the night. The U.K. is a great country and hopefully things will turn out better than some thought, but don’t suggest that Remain voters are somehow disloyal.

alanrwood 18:21 23 Sep 2018

No it's time we walked away from Brexit.

Al94 18:50 23 Sep 2018

This is one of those rare occasions where I agree with FE's response. I also agree with roger.roger that our negotiating strategy has been totally wrong and weak.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Elephone U2 Review

Ichijo Hikaru's riso print pop art is a celebration of the female body

New iPhone 11 (2019) release date, price & specs rumours

Les bons plans audio (2019)