it is time to walk away from the EU

roger.roger 15:07 20 Sep 2018

and keep our money.

tusk says deal will not work

Forum Editor 16:06 21 Sep 2018

"You can't negotiate with an idealistic immovable object"

Back in the day, I used to do a fair bit of negotiating. Nothing remotely on this scale of course, but it usually involved some pretty large sums of money.

Most of the time it seemed as if I was doing exactly what LastChip says you can't so - negotiating with immovable objects in the shape of Trades Unions.

In my experience, the resolution always seemed to appear in the very late stages of the process, just as the deadline was getting close. We all took it close to the wire, and then the process of compromise began.

LastChip 16:58 21 Sep 2018

Interestingly, Theresa May's televised address this afternoon, suggested to me she's saying, don't push any further and for the first time, I've seen some steel in her resolve.

She's just gone up a couple of notches in my view.

The way the EU treated her, has done nothing in their favour as far as the UK people are concerned and it's probably simply cemented those of us who wish to leave and those remainers who have now accepted the result into believing we are definitely better off out.

Respect is a two way affair and the EU showed none towards her. It was almost like they were treating her with contempt. No one deserves to be publicly ridiculed.

BT 17:59 21 Sep 2018

Respect is a two way affair and the EU showed none towards her. It was almost like they were treating her with contempt. No one deserves to be publicly ridiculed.

I'm no expert but in my simplistic view it seems to me that the whole aim of the EU negotiators is that they are intent on punishing us for daring to want to leave their gang. We don't see/hear about most of what goes on behind closed doors but the Public face seems to be just plain bullying. The sooner we get out the better.

I voted against joining the EEC back in the 70's because of the way the 'Rules' were manipulated to benefit certain groups. Perfectly good food being destroyed to keep the prices up after deliberate overproduction. I recall seeing a TV report of hundreds of lorry loads of Tomatoes being dumped into landfill to keep the prices up. French farmers growing hundreds of thousands of Cauliflowers just to plough them in after getting their payments. And we all remember the Wine Lake of millions of gallons of undrinkable wine produced just to get the subsidies, along with the Butter mountain. Millions of tons of Wheat sprayed with blue dye and put into 'Intervention' stores, again to keep prices up.

Quickbeam 18:15 21 Sep 2018

"and those remainers who have now accepted the result into believing we are definitely better off out."

A bit of wishful thing there LastChip I think. I'm a remainer, not because I have a great love for the EU, but because I believe that we've become way too integrated to break away without unacceptable hurt, especially so on the back of a decade of recession that's seen negative wage growth nationally. A crash out will leave us in a pretty economically disastrous position compared to that. A position in which I think the current young generation would seek to rejoin at some time in the not too distant future.

That scenario for the Brexit hardliners, would be the worst case scenario. I honestly believe that a Brexit that's acceptable for now and the future is undeliverable by reason of how closely entwined we are, but we've chosen the greener grass, and on that we must thrive or choke.

But hey ho... we now appear to be 60/40 heading for a crash out, but nobody can seriously expect to be taken seriously in endorsing that line with such puerile glee as is currently being posted all over social media.

Lets not kid ourselves that of all the possible bad deals, crashing out is the baddest of all the possible bad assed deals. Nor should we not kid ourselves that this whole 'effin' mess is a result of a badly bodged attempt by the Tory party to unite itself.

Pine Man 18:51 21 Sep 2018

this whole 'effin' mess is a result of a badly bodged attempt by the Tory party to unite itself.

Couldn't agree more and the resultant mess will probably affect them a hell of a lot less than everybody else!

"and those remainers who have now accepted the result into believing we are definitely better off out."

Like QB I think you are wide of the mark. I voted remain and nothing I have seen to date convinces me that I was wrong - in fact it more than confirms I was right.

alanrwood 19:31 21 Sep 2018

I'm with Pineman and Quickbeam on this.

All those who thought Brexit would be easy are now finding that it is no such thing and that the 27 other members wish to preserve what they joined up to benefit from.

HondaMan 20:51 21 Sep 2018

We should have walked, or run, away immediately following the referendum; that is what the people voted for, and let the EU come to us.

Come on Mrs May, get us out of this unelected THING!

Quickbeam 06:21 22 Sep 2018

Be careful of what you wish for...

Cymro. 12:20 22 Sep 2018

F.E. negotiating with immovable objects in the shape of Trades Unions.

Assuming we do pull out of the E.U. then the workers of this country will need their Trade Unions more than ever.

daz60 21:35 22 Sep 2018

Intersting how people say "walk away" without seeming to understand that WE HAVE to negotiate with them for a trade deal anyway so why make matters worse by turning our backs on them. Personally i blame Farrage for the attitude shown by the EU,after all he has subjected them to constant abuse while in Parliament and his sickly display of triumphalism would have shocked them further,this from a one trick pony who had no real plan himself just a repetitive mantra about trade with the world.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The best of Gamescom 2019

Best free Photoshop brushes 2019

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs smartphones incassables (2019)