Is it time to ban drink-drivers

Forum Editor 08:56 30 Dec 2016

automatically, for long periods on conviction?

The AA says that the number of drunk drivers caught twice in the past five years (8000) is astonishing.

john bunyan 09:07 30 Dec 2016

Yes, and persistent alcoholics should be banned until they prove they are on the wagon. I wish vehicles could be fitted with "sniffers" that stopped a drunk driver from starting the car.

morddwyd 09:26 30 Dec 2016

Depends on you definition of "long periods"

I thought you already banned them automatically anyway, for a minimum of twelve months.

A review of sentencing guidelines might be a less heavy handed approach.

My own view (and we have a lower limit is Scotland) is that refusals should get an automatic ban for five years, as should "failing to srop" and making off after an accident, and second offenders a life ban (third offence should mean automatic jail)

Forum Editor 09:40 30 Dec 2016

Men between the ages of 17 and 29 are involved in more drink-related road accidents than any other age group - perhaps we should have (as quite a few other countries do) a zero blood alcohol level restriction on drivers who have held a licence for less than three years. It must be obvious that the numbers of people actually driving over the limit must be far greater than the number caught by Police, or involved in accidents.

I agree with morddwyd that penalties should be increased, and I would certainly opt for an automatic life ban after a second conviction.

I think that the biggest problem is people who are alcohol-dependant; they are unlikely to be deterred, no matter how harsh the penalty.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:56 30 Dec 2016

Banning makes no difference most of them will drive without a license anyway.

Bring on driver less cars, the sooner we remove the "loose nut behind the wheel" the better.

rickf 11:06 30 Dec 2016

Should have happened a long time ago. The law is too soft.They should be banned for life where someone is killed.

rickf 11:08 30 Dec 2016

Actually, where someone is killed they should not only be banned for life but serve a hefty prison sentence.

Old Deuteronomy 11:10 30 Dec 2016

Long automatic bans, life ban after second conviction and an automatic prison sentence if caught driving whilst banned.

Whilst we're about it, no more being able to claim hardship and escape a ban, if you accumulate more than twelve penalty points for any offences. If you can't cope without being able to drive, don't break the law.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:28 30 Dec 2016

Its not just alcohol its drugs as well, never mind the idiots that text while driving.

Flak999 12:14 30 Dec 2016

Agree with a life ban following a second offence, also take the offenders car and crush it. That will keep them off the road!

Burn-it 15:53 30 Dec 2016

You are all well out of date since all the penalties you mention are already available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Windows Lite: what it is and when it might be released

Candid photography at home is helping Swedes to sell houses

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment installer Fortnite sur un Mac ?