Is it More Difficult Now Than Ever Before?

Menzie 17:37 02 Feb 2018

Various studies and articles have been popping up via the media recently involving millenials and what it is like for them growing up now.

One of the things mentioned was the damage social media has done. With millions of feeds showing people going out, having fun and doing things some feel this creates pressure on them to lead an exciting rounded life.

Then you have the job situation, gone are the times when you went through a newspaper ad and competed with a handful of people. Now hundreds can apply for one position.

I look at times now and think that we have come a long way. For instance various members of my family migrated to Britain in the 60s. They faced challenges and racism I couldn't even imagine.

Then you have those that lived through the wars and the effects thereafter such as rationing. Again something I couldn't imagine.

So is life really harder now?

bumpkin 17:50 04 Feb 2018

House prices are also ridiculous.

If you think they are ridiculous in Canada, try London or its outskirts.

bumpkin 17:52 04 Feb 2018

There must be buyers or the prices would have to be lower.

Menzie 18:29 04 Feb 2018

Bumpkin - Quite true, they can only sell it if there is demand and unfortunately many are still buying so prices will continue as they are.

I'm currently waiting on a place to appear in my range and then try and get in before they are all gone.

When my friend purchased his house all of them sold before even a single nail was hammered.

The value of the house has also gone way up too.

I may have to move outside the city and commute in.

Forum Editor 18:38 04 Feb 2018

In London, the average house price is currently around £500,000 which equates to around $870,000 Canadian.

Aitchbee 19:49 04 Feb 2018

For instance various members of my family migrated to Britain in the 60s. They faced challenges and racism I couldn't even imagine.

Over the past ten years, Glasgow [which is the biggest city in Scotland] has seen a massive influx of immigrants from Eastern Europe. This hasn't gone down too well with some of the indigenous residents in some parts of the city, but I am ever the optimist and I see this as a great opportunity for better times ahead with this new bonanza of young foreign talent and the associated spin-offs to come.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Fold review: Hands-on

How to create a robot painting in Photoshop

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Les bons plans TV (2019)