Is it the end of an era for the department store?

oresome 19:26 01 Aug 2018

A rescue plan for House of Fraser has faltered.

Now that we all compare prices on-line, is there any way the expensive jack of all trades department store can survive?

I must admit, cutting through the heavily scented beauty department to get anywhere else in store is enough to turn me round. Having said that, I've bought a TV and a couple of microwaves from John Lewis in the past.

john bunyan 20:25 01 Aug 2018

My wife uses a couple of catalogue companies for home delivery of clothes as if we go to a department store they rarely have the size / colour required and suggest ordering online. It does seem a difficult time for high Street stores, coupled with high business rates and Amazon paying little tax

Forum Editor 20:36 01 Aug 2018

We use John Lewis a lot. Apart from that, I don't think I've been in another department store for years.

Govan1x 23:17 01 Aug 2018

I have had a walk round the House of Fraser in Northampton a few times and wondered how does this store stay in business. I find M&S much the same.

I actually wonder how the Buyers for the shops actually keep their jobs. Not my cup of tea for shopping but I am sure others may like them.

Cymro. 12:43 02 Aug 2018

Living as we do in a rural part of the country department stores are still something of a novelty. The wife finds them something of a treat and I will tolerate them as long as they have a cafe with a decent cup of coffee where I can read my newspaper.

Cymro. 12:43 02 Aug 2018

Living as we do in a rural part of the country department stores are still something of a novelty. The wife finds them something of a treat and I will tolerate them as long as they have a cafe with a decent cup of coffee where I can read my newspaper.

Pine Man 13:50 02 Aug 2018

The main one that I use is John Lewis. It is one of the few department stores to price match on electrical goods and they usually give a longer warrantee.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)