Is it the end of an era for the department store?

oresome 19:26 01 Aug 2018

A rescue plan for House of Fraser has faltered.

Now that we all compare prices on-line, is there any way the expensive jack of all trades department store can survive?

I must admit, cutting through the heavily scented beauty department to get anywhere else in store is enough to turn me round. Having said that, I've bought a TV and a couple of microwaves from John Lewis in the past.

john bunyan 20:25 01 Aug 2018

My wife uses a couple of catalogue companies for home delivery of clothes as if we go to a department store they rarely have the size / colour required and suggest ordering online. It does seem a difficult time for high Street stores, coupled with high business rates and Amazon paying little tax

Forum Editor 20:36 01 Aug 2018

We use John Lewis a lot. Apart from that, I don't think I've been in another department store for years.

Govan1x 23:17 01 Aug 2018

I have had a walk round the House of Fraser in Northampton a few times and wondered how does this store stay in business. I find M&S much the same.

I actually wonder how the Buyers for the shops actually keep their jobs. Not my cup of tea for shopping but I am sure others may like them.

Cymro. 12:43 02 Aug 2018

Living as we do in a rural part of the country department stores are still something of a novelty. The wife finds them something of a treat and I will tolerate them as long as they have a cafe with a decent cup of coffee where I can read my newspaper.

Cymro. 12:43 02 Aug 2018

Living as we do in a rural part of the country department stores are still something of a novelty. The wife finds them something of a treat and I will tolerate them as long as they have a cafe with a decent cup of coffee where I can read my newspaper.

Pine Man 13:50 02 Aug 2018

The main one that I use is John Lewis. It is one of the few department stores to price match on electrical goods and they usually give a longer warrantee.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e Release Date, Price & Spec

Robert Hunter talks animating his magical storybook style for a spaced out music video

Best iPhone & iPad games 2019

Samsung Galaxy X : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique