It is about time this was brought across the

geoff96 08:19 03 Sep 2018

Country.

Police to randomly check drivers eyesight and revoke licences on the spot for those who fail.

enter link description here

BT 09:20 03 Sep 2018

There should be Instant removal of Licences for many offences. Having watched the Police documentaries from New Zealand where you can get instant roadside 28 day loss of license for almost any offence which in this country only warrants a small fine, it seems to me a good idea.

Forum Editor 17:56 03 Sep 2018

In general terms, I am not in favour of the Police Service being granted 'judge and jury' powers over peoples' lives. That's not what Police are for, Their job is to prevent crime, detect it when it happens, and collect evidence that warrants an arrest and subsequent prosecution. It's not their job to make decisions of guilt involving revocation of a licence, based on a roadside test by a PC.

If Police believe someone doesn't meet the vision standards laid down, they should be able to refer a driver to a test centre or independent optician with a temporary suspension of licence pending the test result.

Forum Editor 18:03 03 Sep 2018

BT

"Having watched the Police documentaries from New Zealand where you can get instant roadside 28 day loss of license for almost any offence..."

Each year, New Zealand has 8.5 road deaths per 100,000 of population.

The UK has 2.9

bremner 18:51 03 Sep 2018

FE I totally agree with your first post.

I am also concerned as the power to require a test states “a constable having reason to suspect”... an issue with eyesight (s96 Road Traffic Act 1988).

Where is the power to have an “every driver stopped” approach?

alanrwood 19:03 03 Sep 2018

I also agree with the FE.The police are an executive to detect a crime not judge and jury. Yes to the power to require a compulsory eye test by either the DVSA or an independent optician.

bumpkin 19:06 03 Sep 2018

The begining of a police state, not here I hope.

Aitchbee 19:44 03 Sep 2018

Totally innocent drivers who are of a nervous disposition or who get very anxious or get panicky when something upsets their routines,[ like this random eye-test would ] could easily misread the registration plates even with perfect eyesight.

Bad idea.

bumpkin 22:30 03 Sep 2018

When have the police got time to do this anyway, if I were to walk to the end of my road to a busier one I would see numrerous drivers using hand held mobiles. When I used to go to pubs (walking or taxi) I saw many drink way over the limit and drive, some got caught eventualy but most didn't and probably still do it. Not enough police time available to deal with these things.

LastChip 09:30 04 Sep 2018

I would have thought this is a pretty low priority. With ever increasing knife crime, shootings, muggings, acid attacks - the list goes on, is it really a priority.

They worry far too much about motorists and not enough about violent crime.

Pine Man 10:38 04 Sep 2018

They worry far too much about motorists and not enough about violent crime.

Nearly three times more people are killed on the roads each year than are, otherwise, unlawfully killed. But, hey, who cares - just call it an accident!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

Adobe's groundbreaking prototypes of new features and apps for Creative Cloud

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Test : le Samsung Galaxy A9