Is Islam and Democracy mutually exclusive?

john bunyan 18:59 28 Jul 2014
Answered

I can think of a few Muslim Countries that have successfully embraced democracy, such as Malaysia and Indonesia. I am sure most people believe that Democracy is the regime that most people want. However many Islamic countries seem only to work under a "Dictator", King or Sultan. At the moment many countries seem to have slipped into chaos - to name but a few: Mali, Libya, Iraq, Sudan, Syria, Northern Nigeria,plus a number of others(and Pakistan and Egypt are "rocky"), and who knows how Afghanistan will fare with a new President and ISF leaving. It seems a shame but partly because of tensions between Sunni and Shia, and between tribe in tribal societies, that democracy is unlikely to prevail in those places at the moment. I wish I had an answer.

sunnystaines 21:35 28 Jul 2014

its the brain washed culture they live in, other groups have it but not as extreme look at orthodox jews, amish etc

BillSers 08:32 30 Jul 2014

You'll find in dictatorships that women have no say at all. Considering that our society has progressed in many ways since equality for females here has increased, this allows their gender skills to balance out the testosterone fuelled ways of us blokes. Take Mugabe, Putin, Bashar etc, and you'll see the wives have no say, although in a healthy marriage the relationship works because it's based on team-work. In other words you have someone to sound off and get feed-back. Where this is missing you end up with tyrants.

wee eddie 09:12 30 Jul 2014

Christianity has been going for 2000 years.

Islam has been going for 1600 years.

Give them another 400 years to get it worked out!

Aitchbee 22:27 30 Jul 2014

Can anybody explain to me in simple terms what 'mutually exclusive' means?

My big dictionary doesn't cover the two-word expression. ;o[

Aitchbee 22:39 30 Jul 2014

and will the term make any sense to the peoples of Mali, Libya, Iraq, Sudan, Syria, Northern Nigeria,Pakistan and Egypt?

Aitchbee 22:55 30 Jul 2014

Thanks Algerian Peter.

The answer is definitely no! [According to the definitions]

rdave13 23:59 30 Jul 2014

The believing in a God is acceptable. The Religion isn't as it has, and always will, create wars and decimation. Not in the name of the God you believe in but in the Religion you believe in. Hence fanaticism and deaths of thousands of men, women and children in the name of your God but through your Religion.

So God is right and man is an animal, if you believe in a creator.

john bunyan 09:05 31 Jul 2014

My original question was, of course, rhetorical. Of course they are not mutually exclusive as Malaysia, for example demonstrates. My thread was started by the news on the day of inter - tribal fighting in Libya, where even the British Ambassadors escaping car convoy was shot at. Then if you look at the total breakdown in Iraq where Shiite vs Sunni "civil war" is raging, the chaos in Somalia, the Syrian situation and the delicate situation in Afghanistan the middle east seems in total chaos. The stable countries there (for now) include Oman, Saudi, Qatar, Jordan etc that are run by kings or sultans. It seems a pity but when those tyrants Gadhafi and Saddam Hussein (and Assad before the uprising) were in charge there was relative stability - albeit with dreadful human rights abuses.

I am not saying that all, nor indeed most, Muslims are averse to democracy, just that , regrettably, attempts to "democratise" many such countries recently have been an abject failure, so maybe democracy in them has to be on hold for a while in the interests of world stability.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

Project Gemini is Adobe's Procreate rival – a new drawing and painting app for the iPad

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs