IP Addresses.

cymbo 19:54 29 Sep 2005

Could anyone enlighten me on the following?

I have always thought that a dynamic IP address was safer than a static one as it made it more difficult for hackers to target a particular computer.

Recently I saw an advert for an ISP with the Broadband tariffs,I forget which one, and it stated that you got a dynamic IP address. If you wanted a static IP address then there was an additional £4 charge.

If dynamic is safer why would anyone want to pay extra for a static IP address?

Thanks

VoG II 20:25 29 Sep 2005

Some web-based services recognise you as an authorised user by checking your IP address.

click here is one such.

Fortunately my blueyonder IP address is (practically) static so I don't keep having to get re-authorised.

The chances of getting deliberately targetted (hacked) on a home PC are zilch.

cymbo 20:48 29 Sep 2005

Thanks for your reply. I can now understand the advantage of a static IP address to some people. Can I ask you how your IP address is practically static. I would have thought it would be either one or the other.

Thanks.

VoG II 20:53 29 Sep 2005

In principle a blueyonder home account has a dynamic IP address. However, blueyonder very rarely change it - hence practically static. If it changed more frequently than every few months then I would have to fork out the extra for a fixed IP address.

cymbo 21:01 29 Sep 2005

Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Print designer Kelly Anna on confident mark making & modern femininity

New iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs rumours

Comment créer, utiliser et supprimer son compte Facebook ?