Intimate body piercings. At what age?

oresome 11:24 02 Feb 2018

A new law in Wales bans such piercings for under 18s.

The age of consent is lower for other activities so is this a reasonable law?

Cymro. 11:46 02 Feb 2018

I assume oresome you are talking about such things as having sex before the age of 16. I don't know if you wish to have a discussion about that but the law being changed is regarding body piercings and as far as that goes I recon that 18 years is about the right age.

If this posting is to be widened further then perhaps you should know that there are moves ahead in Wales to change the age someone can vote in local elections to 16.

oresome 12:59 02 Feb 2018

The point I'm trying to make is, if you are considered mature enough to consent to sex and vote in an election, why are you not able to decide to have a body piercing.

Personally, I'd extend the age to 25 for the things I've mentioned and add driving to the list, but then I'm a miserable old so and so.

PS

My wife had just turned 18 when we married over 46 years ago so ones idea of maturity changes with age.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:43 02 Feb 2018

Should tattoos also be included?

Belatucadrus 15:33 02 Feb 2018

Should tattoos also be included?

Apparently covered by "Tattooing of Minors act 1969" which has made it an offence to tattoo anyone under 18 for quite some time. Looks as if the new legislation brings piercings in line with tatts.

qwbos 16:26 02 Feb 2018

Off topic, but should all cosmetic procedures, be covered by insurance so that the NHS doesn't have to pick up the tab when things go wrong, either through dodgy procedures or end of life of product, something that must be a ticking time-bomb with breast implants?

bumpkin 17:44 02 Feb 2018

Body piercings can (or at least their adornments) be easily removed unlike tattoos which many regret in later life.

Aitchbee 17:54 02 Feb 2018

Re Tattooing of Minors Act, it doesn't define the actual upper age of a minor, but it might be 14.

Noticed today a local Piercing & Tattoo shop had sign saying " Nobody under 14 allowed in shop."

Belatucadrus 19:35 02 Feb 2018

Prohibition of tattooing of minors. It shall be an offence to tattoo a person under the age of eighteen except when the tattoo is performed for medical reasons by a duly qualified medical practioner or by a person working under his direction, but it shall be a defence for a person charged to show that at the time the tattoo was performed he had reasonable cause to believe that the person tattooed was of or over the age of eighteen and did in fact so believe.

Aitchbee 20:03 02 Feb 2018

Thanks, Belatucadrus, I missed that. The shop's notice is obviously somewhat misleading, if not illegal.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Test : les écouteurs Bluetooth Honor xSport AM61