Internal Combustion Engines

Quickbeam 09:30 23 Nov 2011
Answered

I've always been interested in them, and how the traditional Otto 4 stroke still rules the roost after over a century despite some technically simpler designs that should have relegated it to the technological dustbin decades ago.

Anyway I came across these new animations, they're quite interesting and I wonder if this century will see any of them throw out the old Otto cycle engine.

Axial, Rotary 1, Rotary 2, Spherical,

spuds 12:27 23 Nov 2011

I haven't looked at the links, but wasn't the Wankel engine listed, the engine of the future?.

But that was at about the same time, when we had some 'two' seater funny vehicle on the roads (Gogmobile etc)?.

Quickbeam 13:11 23 Nov 2011

In theory rotary No 2 should have no limit to it's operating rpm having no valves to crash or con rods to stretch, and should be no bigger than a biscuit tin.

I still wonder why no-one seems interested in developing the 6 stroke engine which uses existing and proven technology.

Forum Editor 19:30 23 Nov 2011

WhiteTruckMan

Fascinating stuff, and your link led me (as is the way with the internet) to another:-

which seems to tell you just about everything you could want to know about propulsion

Aitchbee 21:32 23 Nov 2011

Pardon my ignorance, but how are the more complicated, modern designs of IC engines cooled?

What type of engine, powers the new Mars Rover, which will be on it's way soon, to the Red Planet. I heard on the radio recently, if all goes well with the Mission To Mars, the massive vehicle will be going up hills, to do experiments.

morddwyd 07:27 24 Nov 2011

I don't think tax is a factor.

As we saw with diesel, once an alternative becomes popular the tax is increased accordingly.

morddwyd 07:52 24 Nov 2011

I don't think tax is a factor.

As we saw with diesel, once an alternative becomes popular the tax is increased accordingly.

Quickbeam 09:16 24 Nov 2011

WTM

The author of that animation tells me to note that the bottom crank rotates opposite to the other two, but doesn't say why. Why is that?

Quickbeam 07:56 25 Nov 2011

I see what you mean WTM about by timing, but that still left a wrong direction rotation on one shaft, but this end drawing shows how it's corrected so that a common output shaft is driven by them all.

The skeleton animation shows all 18 pistons in motion is quite mind boggling!

Aitchbee 09:54 25 Nov 2011

If you save the 'skeleton animation' to your computer, and run it in VLC media player, in loop mode, you get continuous motion.

I could watch it all day!

Quickbeam 11:39 25 Nov 2011

...and I though I was easily pleased!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Shadow of the Tomb Raider review

Julian Glander recreates your art school experience in quirky video game Art Sqool

iPhone XS vs iPhone X: What is the difference?

TV & streaming : comment regarder la Ligue des Champions 2018-2019 ?