This is interesting, or at least i think it is...

Forum Editor 17:10 13 Feb 2019
  qwbos 17:26 13 Feb 2019

Who owns the cases and their contents?

john bunyan 17:48 13 Feb 2019

In this case a senior judge should have access and decide whether or not ther is anything relevant

Al94 17:52 13 Feb 2019

Interesting that the will doesn't appear here Find a Will

Quickbeam 18:26 13 Feb 2019

"Greater Manchester Police applied for a court order to examine the contents, which was denied on the grounds that there was no longer any prospect of an investigation leading to a prosecution."

We often here of prosecutions not proceeding because it's 'not in the public interest'. Doesn't 'being in the public interest' come into play here?

Forum Editor 18:31 13 Feb 2019

"Doesn't 'being in the public interest' come into play here?"

It might be argued that there is a genuine public interest aspect to this, but more importantly Keith Bennett's brother very definitely has an interest. There may be nothing relevant in the cases of course, but perhaps a member of the judiciary should rule on it after examining the contents.

Pine Man 18:52 13 Feb 2019

If it had been one of Jimmy Saviles briefcases it wouldn't have been an issue. He also was dead and there was no likelihood of a prosecution.

oresome 19:50 13 Feb 2019

I expect the solicitor acting as executor charges a fee for retention of the case and will lose interest once the money has run out.

HondaMan 10:16 14 Feb 2019

Interesting that the will doesn't appear here Find a Will

Did he leave a will?

Forum Editor 14:40 17 Feb 2019

HondaMan

"Did he leave a will?"

It says - in the article I linked to - that the solicitor who is holding the cases is the executor of Brady's will so yes, there is a will. The executor's job is to see that the deceased person's wishes in respect of the disposal of his/her estate are carried out, and I can only assume that either Brady specified what should happen to these cases, which may mean that he left it up to the solicitor to decide or he made no reference to them, in which case it would also be up to his executor to decide.

Either way, Keith Bennett's relatives might have grounds to contest the solicitor's refusal to disclose information, on the basis that the documents in the briefcases may shed light on what happened to Keith Bennett's body. I find it hard to believe that anyone with any humanity in them would want to deny Keith's brother this one last chance to discover whether Brady disclosed what the family have wanted to know for the past 50 years.

It seems to me that the best course would be for an order to be made that a judge in chambers should examine the contents and rule on whether or not they should be made available to the family. The solicitor would then have been absolved of any breach of trust, and the matter would be at an end - he could do what he liked with the documents.

alanrwood 16:22 17 Feb 2019

I agree with the FE. It is inhumane to make the family suffer more

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Anthem review-in-progress

Illustrator and children's author Owen Davey on maintaining success with his animal and art mastery

WWDC 2019: Dates, what to expect, and how to get tickets

French Days 2019 : dates, sites participants & bons plans