Important Vehicle Safety Recall re air bags

bumpkin 21:00 23 Jun 2017

I don't know if any of you have had this from BMW but it refers to metal parts escaping from the airbags and they require owners to take their vehicles for checking or replacement of the bags, all well and good but what puzzles me is how they intend to test it short of setting it off which does not sound like the best idea.

Belatucadrus 13:46 24 Jun 2017

The faulty Takata airbags use Ammonium Nitrate as a propellant, most other manufacturers decided it wasn't safe but Takata reckoned their product was of a high enough quality to use it. They may have got away with it but they decided they didn't need to add a chemical drying agent, bad move damp Ammonium Nitrate not nice. Add to that some of the raw material handling protocols in some of their subsidiary plants seem to have been more on paper than actually executed. As a result instead of a controlled inflation of the bag they've been getting full on explosions blowing the thing to bits with fatal consequences.

bumpkin 19:25 24 Jun 2017

*something about a gas generator if anyone could explain *

An intersting link from Fruit Bat but I could not see an explanation of a gas generator or is it just another name for an explosive.

Belatucadrus 19:43 24 Jun 2017

is it just another name for an explosive.

Effectively yes, it makes high volumes of gas in a controlled, for want of a better word explosion. The gas comes out of the generator filling the airbag. The design fault renders it a very uncontrolled explosion, blowing the gas generator to bits filling the car with shrapnel.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:01 24 Jun 2017
  bumpkin 20:05 24 Jun 2017

Thanks Belatucadrus, that explains it.

blowing the gas generator to bits filling the car with shrapnel. Not quite the way they described it though more like very small pieces of metal may find their way into the bag:-))

Belatucadrus 20:21 24 Jun 2017

I was wondering if maybe I'd over egged it a bit with my choice of words, I do tend to get a bit verbose and OTT at times, then I read this and have decided I hadn't. Takata may not like it but I'll stick with my version.

bumpkin 20:48 24 Jun 2017

No wonder they will not pick it up, do you think I should cal UXB :-))

Belatucadrus 21:49 24 Jun 2017

As in many things it's a matter of proportion, Takata have supplied many millions of air bags. Most will sit there and never do anything, others have no doubt performed as designed and saved hundreds maybe thousands of lives. None of this will be any consolation to family of those injured or killed by the ones that fail. Just let BMW do their thing.

Belatucadrus 12:41 25 Jun 2017

Watch this, do remember that American air bags are bigger and more dangerous than European ones because our airbags are designed to provide additional protection to a person who's already restrained by a seatbelt. In America

FMVSS 208 continues to require that bags be engineered and calibrated to be able to "save" the life of an unbelted 50th-percentile size and weight "male" crash test dummy.

So in order to stop a larger object already in motion they're bigger and have a more vigorous gas generator.

I haven't gone into it in any depth but can't find any reference to Takata caused injuries or fatalities in Europe. This maybe because the gas generators being smaller become less bomb like on failure, but that's just me guessing.

Quotation courtesy Wikipedia.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Is it safe to use NordVPN?

Hell or Habito? Why a mortgage startup branded itself through some sick animation

macOS Catalina Review: New MacOS update turns your Mac into an entertainment hub

Les meilleurs écrans pour PC (2019)