Important Vehicle Safety Recall re air bags

bumpkin 21:00 23 Jun 2017

I don't know if any of you have had this from BMW but it refers to metal parts escaping from the airbags and they require owners to take their vehicles for checking or replacement of the bags, all well and good but what puzzles me is how they intend to test it short of setting it off which does not sound like the best idea.

Old Deuteronomy 21:03 23 Jun 2017

It might be a simple case of checking a serial number or part number.

bumpkin 21:05 23 Jun 2017

I see.

Belatucadrus 21:31 23 Jun 2017

If as I assume it's part of the ongoing takata airbag problem, then you may want a look at this.

Click Here

BMW are pretty good with recalls and if you own a car in an affected production batch then the advisory has probably been sent, that said if you own a second hand car check any recall work has been done. It should have been done but if a prior owner didn't bother, it needs doing ASAP.

This could also be of use if you're unsure

bumpkin 21:45 23 Jun 2017

Thanks, interesting link and yes it does apply and I have the recall letter.

BT 08:58 24 Jun 2017

I had a recall on my Nissan last year for air bag replacement. It was done by my local dealer as a while you wait appointment. Took about 40 minutes.

OTT_B 09:38 24 Jun 2017

Bumpkin, As BT has said, they're not tested, they're replaced (either in part or the whole assembly). If the concern is with metal fragments it's unlikely to be related to the Takata recall. That, as far as I know, was related to deterioration of the explosive used to deploy the airbag.

bumpkin 10:51 24 Jun 2017

Thanks for the replies. The recall says smothing about a gas generator if anyone could explain what that is, I thought they exploded.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:00 24 Jun 2017
  x123 11:26 24 Jun 2017

Mine was booked in for its first service, 18,000 miles on 9 months. They said they would do the 2 updates/ recalls required. I remember them saying one was for the ECU but didn't get what the second one was. I opted for contact to be done by email but tend to just delete them as they are usual marketing. So might have missed any message.

The car was picked up and delivered back. This time I did open the email and it included a video of the mechanic doing part of the work and explaining what he was doing. He also showed me my front tyres that were down to 2mm and suggested I changed them soon.

Govan1x 11:39 24 Jun 2017

I know one of the manufacturers of air bags was thinking of going into liquidation as they could not afford all of the heavy fines that they were receiving from the USA.

It was on CNN news a few weeks ago but not sure which one it was.

Ok googled it and this looks like the one.

Click here

No doubt there will be others that can take its place though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

How To Master The Curvature Pen Tool

Beats Studio 3 Wireless review

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs