I'm not surprised.........

Forum Editor 18:48 07 Oct 2004

the writing has been on the wall for some time. The fact remains that the music industry does itself no favours by suing its potential customers. I know that I've been vociferous about illegal downloaders in the past, and I still advocate abiding by the law, but............

If I was a senior music industry figure I would be looking for a way to relate to my market instead of alienating it. I know that these court actions will only be against 'serious' uploaders - those people who are deliberately and systematically flouting the law in a big way - but the publicity will do the industry no good at all. If they think that illegal downloading will go away because the sue a few people they must think again.

Sooner or later the music publishers will wake up and realise that there's been a revolution. The way that the music-listening public perceives the industry has changed forever, there's no going back, and sideways isn't going to work - only one way to go then, and that's inevitably going to mean cheaper music. The industry can avoid facing the truth for a while if they like, but there's a nettle to be grasped, and in their position I would be grasping - plenty of money can still be made by all concerned, the internet reaches out to a vast audience.

I'm available to the IFPI for consultation at very reasonable rates, but I'm not holding my breath.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

Yotam Ottolenghi's latest cookbook is a design feast for the eyes

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs