I'm not entirely sure what to say

Belatucadrus 11:59 13 Sep 2019
Answered

Other than this may be the most fatuous comment from a serving general in History.

The Army could phase out petrol and diesel vehicles in a bid to attract ecofriendly recruits, the Chief of the General Staff has said.

I still think the armed forces would have a better chance of attracting new recruits if they didn't appear to have a default position of supporting legal claims against British military personnel, but what do I know.

I'm just waiting for the first occasion when the army has to go back to parliament and declines to deploy to Afghanistan or wherever as there's no suitable recharging network for their new electric tanks.

wee eddie 23:33 21 Sep 2019

We have to hope that one does not happen in our lifetime.

Can you imagine what would happen if all the Hard Drives on that area of the Globe were wiped. Everything, backups and all

morddwyd 09:18 22 Sep 2019

The sun like many stars, is a continuous nuclear reaction and, as has already been pointed out, can affect transmissions.

The EMP is a fact of life, or death in many cases.

Customising it has been, and continues to be, the challenge.

wee eddie 09:46 22 Sep 2019

I'm lost - What do you mean?

"Customising it has been, and continues to be, the challenge."

Forum Editor 11:18 22 Sep 2019

Perhaps a better word might have been 'controlling'. So you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

wee eddie 11:38 22 Sep 2019

As I see it, we only know of the effects of a Solar EMP because of the Canadian Episode and that was about 80 years ago, when electrics was crude in the extreme.

Anything that we do in the 8 minutes it would take to reach us must be guesswork, so we just have to hope that it works.

morddwyd 19:22 22 Sep 2019

We know about the effects of the solar EMP from sunspots which in times past could disrupt (or enhance) communication s for days.

In addition anyone who lives in Northern (or southern) climes will be aware of the electro-magnetic effects of the Borealis, another manifestation of radiation.

wee eddie 21:32 22 Sep 2019

Mdd: The EMP in Canada was sufficiently powerful to short out the Power Company's Distribution Network

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 7T Pro review

The Best Free Fonts Every Designer Should Have 2019

MacBook Pro 13in (2019) review

Xiaomi Mi 10 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs