illegal downloading

herc182 18:55 12 Dec 2004

If there is such a hype about people using programs such as bearshare, winmx, kazaaa (to name but a few) then why is it not a case of suing the makers?

furthermore, torrent files. although it is near impossible to detect whos doing what (as you download striaght from someone elses computer and not a dedicated server), why can the ISP's take action (or inform those appropriate) that people are downloading huge quantities? eg if someone is using 60gb+ every month then it doesnt take a genius to know something is up! they must have a record of all websites visited?

I am a little annoyed that you hear all of the money lost to illegal downloading yet nothing seems to be done. it is possible to stop it surely?

fourjays 12:55 14 Dec 2004

While I think that the music industry has bought it on themselves to an extent, with the costs of the music, I think that P2P programs should put some effort into stopping their illegal use. A lot of them quite openly advertise it as a source of 'free legal' music, games, movies and other programs. I guess they are worried, as there are not anywhere near as many legal uses of their software, as there is illegal.

Im no programmer, but wouldn't it be fairly easy to block out certain file types from the software?

On a slightly different note, shouldn't Kazaa be shut down for all the spyware, ad-aware and other junk in it?

Eargasm 23:09 14 Dec 2004

I have used p2p in the past (rightly or wrongly) but where in the uk can i buy Jerry (swampdogg ) Williams, Doris Duke, Syl Johnson, or The Sounds of Blackness? etc......

Simple you can't, i ain't catered for (cause there's no money in it for them)

Forum Editor 23:48 14 Dec 2004

Well if there's no money in it for them why on earth should you be catered for - do you expect people to work for nothing?

If you can't buy the music you like, it probably means there's little demand for it, and if there's little demand for it there aren't that many people who will see selling it as a route to a glittering future. It's no good saying, in effect "It's not fair, I want someone to provide me with music, although there's absolutely nothing in it for them, and if they don't I'll just go off and take it without paying".

Cook2 01:36 15 Dec 2004

1. Eargasm is unable to purchase his chosen music, so the artistes get no royalties.

2. Eargasm downloads his chosen music, which he is unable to purchase, so the artistes get no royalties.

Just a thought that came to mind.

Forum Editor 07:05 15 Dec 2004

and it's a good one, but think about it - if a recording artist has a following it's up to his/her publishers to make sure those people can buy the music - they shouldn't have to go like thieves in the night and download it from a complete stranger's computer.

Some artists are happy for their music to be distributed over the internet, and that's fine, but songwriters and musicians have to earn a living, and whether you agree with it or not they currently have the legal right to expect payment each time someone buys a copy of the music. Arguing that you stole something because it wasn't readily available in your local shop is no argument at all.

georgemac 07:41 15 Dec 2004

I just bought an MP3 hard drive player for my son's Christmas.

We have the new U2 cd, so if we rip it and download it to the mp3 player we will be breaking the law?

If we follow the law to the letter, I should buy 2 cd's, one for my 12 year old son and one for myself as we both want to listen to it?

Is this not ridiculous?

I must admit there are not many cd's in my/his collection we would both want to listen to!

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:02 15 Dec 2004

You are getting too deep in this. The law is quite clear in that you are not allowed to record copyright music that you have not paid for. If you buy a CD and copy that for the car, although not strictly legal, the record companies will not bother. It is when you sell copies of Cd's for money they get annoyed. It is that simple.

fourjays 10:37 15 Dec 2004

I have almost my families entire CD collection on my hard drive, as our CD Hi-Fi system will not read 90% of them now (I think only the Pet Shop Boys still works) - it is a prob with the laser or something. The speakers are about a 10th of the size of the hi-fi speakers and it still sounds much better than the hi-fi.

I don't think I, or anyone else who has music on their HDD, MP3 player, etc is breaking the law, as it is still being used for private/personal use.

Eargasm - By not searching to buy those music tracks, the music you like will never likely be published properly everywhere. If people don't buy music, they cannot tell how popular it is, or if there is a market for it. It would be well worth you searching for an American import of them or something. Have you tried Napster? I have and it has thousands of artists that I have never heard of.

I think Gandalf has made it very clear though. I think it was much the same with tape cassettes and vinyl records?

Noelg23 12:05 15 Dec 2004

wow...I have never seen such a debate explode quite like this one...very heated.

GANDALF <|:-)> 12:22 15 Dec 2004

I have just had a quick Google check on your eclectic mix of artists and all of their CDs can be purchased over the net, usually from the States.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

ManvsMachine and other artists put Apple's iMac Pro to the test using powerful rendering tools

What to expect at Apple's 27 March education event

Comment filmer l’écran d’un iPhone ?