illegal downloading

herc182 18:55 12 Dec 2004

If there is such a hype about people using programs such as bearshare, winmx, kazaaa (to name but a few) then why is it not a case of suing the makers?

furthermore, torrent files. although it is near impossible to detect whos doing what (as you download striaght from someone elses computer and not a dedicated server), why can the ISP's take action (or inform those appropriate) that people are downloading huge quantities? eg if someone is using 60gb+ every month then it doesnt take a genius to know something is up! they must have a record of all websites visited?

I am a little annoyed that you hear all of the money lost to illegal downloading yet nothing seems to be done. it is possible to stop it surely?

Eargasm 23:09 14 Dec 2004

I have used p2p in the past (rightly or wrongly) but where in the uk can i buy Jerry (swampdogg ) Williams, Doris Duke, Syl Johnson, or The Sounds of Blackness? etc......

Simple you can't, i ain't catered for (cause there's no money in it for them)

Forum Editor 23:48 14 Dec 2004

Well if there's no money in it for them why on earth should you be catered for - do you expect people to work for nothing?

If you can't buy the music you like, it probably means there's little demand for it, and if there's little demand for it there aren't that many people who will see selling it as a route to a glittering future. It's no good saying, in effect "It's not fair, I want someone to provide me with music, although there's absolutely nothing in it for them, and if they don't I'll just go off and take it without paying".

Forum Editor 07:05 15 Dec 2004

and it's a good one, but think about it - if a recording artist has a following it's up to his/her publishers to make sure those people can buy the music - they shouldn't have to go like thieves in the night and download it from a complete stranger's computer.

Some artists are happy for their music to be distributed over the internet, and that's fine, but songwriters and musicians have to earn a living, and whether you agree with it or not they currently have the legal right to expect payment each time someone buys a copy of the music. Arguing that you stole something because it wasn't readily available in your local shop is no argument at all.

Forum Editor 19:57 15 Dec 2004

this subject has generated a mix of opinions and some silly statements.

I think it's worth reiterating that to disagree with a law is fine - we are all perfectly at liberty to hold (and express) strong views about laws we think are wrong - but disagreeing isn't a licence for law-breaking. I hold strong views about the music industry's seeming inability to get to grips with this problem, and I think that music publishing companies have to rethink their marketing strategies from the ground up, but I wouldn't dream of simply taking something that others have worked hard to produce.

Taking the line that music is a "product of passion and the various muses, rather than of market forces" may sound very grand, but it has absolutely no relevance to the subject under discussion. herc182 asked if there wasn't something that could be done to stop the illegal downloading of copyright-protected music, I doubt that he/she was interested in hearing a lot of pretentious stuff about altrusim and idealism. What we're dealing with here is the real-world behaviour of people who steal other peoples' property - regardless of whether we as individuals like or dislike particular musical genres.

herc182 21:00 15 Dec 2004

so back to my original point... if the music (or film) industry believes it is losing so much money then why dont they step up their efforts to stop it (by maybe working in cooperation with ISP?).
this will not be easy but its a start (very easy to sit here and say that though).

furthermore, the prices charged for CDS and movies (at least in the uk) are sometimes rediculous when compared to other countries (even taking into account local earning potential) almost forcing people to download illegally (not saying that this is an excuse though). As is much publicised, why does itunes continue to rip off the UK compared to the US or other places (are we the only mugs prepared to pay the price?).

On the one hand you can feel robbed when you see how much cds and dvds cost to make and how much we cough up for them (angering me and others into seeking alternatives) but on the other hand it is a form of theft to download for free. in conclusion i dont see one! cds and alike will not shoot down in price and illegal downloading will continue (and increase). I just feel that Instead of moaning about the money lost through downloading....give us an incentive to stop! lower prices and step up the ante on stopping the downloads!

Eargasm 22:17 15 Dec 2004

Thanks for your search on google, i know some of the artists mentioned can be obtained from the states, and i have purchased a few from "cd universe"

However two albums i am desperately trying to get are "I'm a loser" by Doris Duke and "Have you heard this story" by Jerry swampdogg Williams. I have both of these on vinll but as they are from the early 70's and in poor condition are no longer playable.

If you could point me in the direction of where i might obtain these,(preferably on cd) i would be eternally grateful.

Phil

kev.Ifty 22:52 15 Dec 2004

click here

Any good?

Eargasm 23:21 15 Dec 2004

Thanks for the link, but i think the album has been sold, i have been looking to buy this for ages without success ( ok i have managed to download a couple of tracks from the album which i accept is wrong as F.E. points out. from audiogalaxy a few years ago) but if i could buy it i would.

Can anyone else help?

kev.Ifty 01:07 19 Dec 2004

The CD that you have is protected. Hence the 'built in player'.

You cannot legally copy CD's that have copyright.

If you live in the US you can use programs like AudioGrabber click here To make a back up

But in the UK i think you may be breaking the law.

So doing things like plugging a recording device into your audio card would be against the copyright law so don't do it if you are living in the UK.

Cheers Kev.

Forum Editor 11:41 19 Dec 2004

I think the point is that people who copy a film onto a tape are doing it once. People who offer files for sharing on music download sites are offering them to all and sundry. One file might be copied hundreds (or even thousands) of times a day from a single source.

A way to combat piracy would indeed be to reduce the retail cost of music. It wouldn't eliminate downloading of course, but it would undoubtedly reduce the volume. It would mean that everyone involved in the music business would make less money as well - writers, musicians, publishers, distributors, and the shops that sell Cd's, and of course they wouldn't like that. Nor would you if your livelihood depended on music sales, I can't see the likes of Kylie saying "Reduce my income by half? Of course I will, those poor members of the public who must come first".

It's all a matter of perspective, and although we can all sit at our keyboards and rattle off solutions we must be realistic about it. The problem could be solved at a stroke by reducing the cost of music to a level that made it pointless to steal it - we can all work that out - but you try telling everyone who works in the music business (including the performers) that they must take a big salary cut; that's when the real scale of the problem will dawn on you.

I think that my last new car cost far too much, but I'm realistic enough to know that if the manufacturers were made to reduce its cost by half the industry would soon be in trouble.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Windows Lite: what it is and when it might be released

Candid photography at home is helping Swedes to sell houses

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment installer Fortnite sur un Mac ?