If you're a moped mugger, look away now.

qwbos 01:02 07 Dec 2018

Having watched so many police programs where chases seem to go on forever, putting innocent lives at risk, I'm surprised this hardening of tactics hasn't happened sooner.

Predictably " Diane Abbott warned on Tuesday that “knocking ­people off bikes is potentially very dangerous – it shouldn’t be legal for anyone”", but then she's been in a world of her own for as long as I can remember.

These thugs show no concern for their victims, so why should they get kid glove treatment?

Brumas 15:11 08 Dec 2018

Picture the scenario - You are driving along slowly, approaching the shopping precinct and see your dear frail old mum shopping, suddenly you see a toerag on a moped knock her off her feet whilst stealing her handbag - what would you do (A) stop and help your mum or (B) chase after the little [email protected] and 'nudge' him off his moped then stop and make a citizen's arrest?

I know what I would do!!

Pine Man 15:35 08 Dec 2018

Brumas

I know we are getting into the realms of fantasy now but......

Having seen your dear frail old mum knocked to the ground and, potentially breathing her last, you completely ignore her and commence a dangerous pursuit with the sole intent of knocking the assailaint of his moped with a complete disregard for other road users - and the law???

qwbos 15:56 08 Dec 2018

It's a disturbing facet of humanity that some will happily accept the huge numbers of innocent deaths caused in recent one sided "wars", but balk at the idea that someone who is clearly guilty and in evading police, is putting innocent lives at risk, cannot be stopped as quickly as possible.

Is it because the violence is too close to home?

Jondrew 16:05 08 Dec 2018

It's a long time since I posted here but this thread raised some interest when I saw it (today).

My view is that the police needed a method of restraining these thugs and have found one which works. For this I applaud them and hope the application of this reasonable force not only continues but continues to put fear in the minds of those who would rather steal than be law abiding. I believe it is the duty of all law abiding citizens to support the police and geve help where needed; however in the case of taking down a moped riding thug using similar methods to those approved by (presumably) the Home Office for police use may well be a step too far. I can well appreciate the feelings an incident such as that portrayed above may well instill but there are limits to which assistance may be given.

Jondrew 16:08 08 Dec 2018

It's a long time since I posted here but this thread raised some interest when I saw it (today).

My view is that the police needed a method of restraining these thugs and have found one which works. For this I applaud them and hope the application of this reasonable force not only continues but continues to put fear in the minds of those who would rather steal than be law abiding. I believe it is the duty of all law abiding citizens to support the police and geve help where needed; however in the case of taking down a moped riding thug using similar methods to those approved by (presumably) the Home Office for police use may well be a step too far. I can well appreciate the feelings an incident such as that portrayed above may well instill but there are limits to which assistance may be given.

john bunyan 16:34 08 Dec 2018

Straying away from mopeds , if a robber were found in my house, especially at night , I would have no hesitation in using my handy pick axe handle. I know about reasonable force but that would not be in the front of my mind. Many years ago , in the days of firearms licences I fired 2 warning shots near an intruder in my garden . He didn’t come back but the police did mention reasonable force.

oresome 16:44 08 Dec 2018

I've tried to confirm the quoted 90% reduction in moped muggings but this crime doesn't appear to be categorised as such in published figures.

Theft from the person actually rose in Camden from Sept to Oct.

Surely to be effective police using this tactic have to be at the scene when the crime takes place, otherwise by the time the crime is reported and they arrive, the criminal is long gone.

Perhaps they target known crime spots by having vehicles permanently there, but knowing their limited resources this seems unlikely.

click here

Brumas 17:25 08 Dec 2018

Pine Man, whatever!

carver 10:00 10 Dec 2018

Just seen this thread and some of the comments are to say the least both stupid and minimising a very violent culture "should a juvenile who has committed a fairly minor crime" what is minor when you have acid thrown in your face, what is minor about someone threatening to kill you with a machete, what is minor about raiding a jewellery shop with sledge hammers. Would you still have the same opinion if you were a victim.

Do not blame the police for using this tactic , it's about time stamped down on these criminals and used every tactic there is to stop this sort of crime.

HondaMan 10:14 10 Dec 2018

Well said, carver!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 7T Pro review

The Best Free Fonts Every Designer Should Have 2019

MacBook Pro 13in (2019) review

Xiaomi Mi 10 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs