If you're a moped mugger, look away now.

qwbos 01:02 07 Dec 2018

Having watched so many police programs where chases seem to go on forever, putting innocent lives at risk, I'm surprised this hardening of tactics hasn't happened sooner.

Predictably " Diane Abbott warned on Tuesday that “knocking ­people off bikes is potentially very dangerous – it shouldn’t be legal for anyone”", but then she's been in a world of her own for as long as I can remember.

These thugs show no concern for their victims, so why should they get kid glove treatment?

HondaMan 07:32 07 Dec 2018

Well done Camden Police.

Pine Man 09:02 07 Dec 2018

Don't get to excited, already the first of these 'stops' is being considered by the CPS for potential prosecution.

oresome 09:20 07 Dec 2018

Not quite in a world of her own, I'm also uneasy with the use of this tactic.

We'll see how public opinion changes the first time a rider loses a limb or is brain damaged and wheelchair bound for the rest of their life.

Pine Man 09:55 07 Dec 2018

oresome

I'm with you on this one.

The muggers are despicable little s*s and certainly need dealing with firmly, but on the face of it should a juvenile who has committed a fairly minor crime, by todays standards, be subject to potentially life threatening injuries even before the case has been proved?

Cymro. 10:33 07 Dec 2018

We'll see how public opinion changes the first time a rider loses a limb or is brain damaged and wheelchair bound for the rest of their life. Yes and very true oresome

We have much less control over the way our children turnout than we would like to think we do. Fortunately I've had no such problems with my two but at least part of this is due to luck. How would I feel if it was my child that ended up seriously injured even if it was his own stupid fault.

Forum Editor 12:11 07 Dec 2018

Camden Police responded directly to Diane Abbot's criticism of their tactical contact strategy, saying:-

"Someone who’s responsible for law-making (or at least debating and ratifying new legislation) should probably realise that using tactical contact to terminate dangerous pursuits is entirely within our lawful power… And our responsibility."

Since when, Ms. Abbot has been strangely silent on the subject.

wee eddie 12:29 07 Dec 2018

I think that all Police Cars should be fitted with a Sun Roof and its Officers supplied with a Lariat/Lasso.

Pine Man 12:33 07 Dec 2018

using tactical contact to terminate dangerous pursuits

Pursuits only become dangerous, in most cases, when 'tactical contact' is used.

Forum Editor 14:09 07 Dec 2018

Camden Police say that since September, when they started using tactical contact methods, Moped muggings in their area have decreased by 90%.

That's a pretty convincing figure and as far as I'm aware, there are (so far) no reports of anyone being badly injured as a result of tactical contact.

bumpkin 14:58 07 Dec 2018

Camden Police say that since September, when they started using tactical contact methods, Moped muggings in their area have decreased by 90%.

Doesn't that say it all. Would those who oppose such tactics like to suggest an alternative or just let the previous situation continue. It has clearly been a serious detterentent and if there are 90% less of such people then there is 90% less to cause other accidents unrelated to police intervention.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixel Slate review

Brian Cox-branded beer brings Big Bang beauty to bottles

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment jouer à des jeux de PS2 et PS3 sur PS4 ?