Hot Topics

If we all went Vegan or Vegetarian?

canarieslover 10:04 10 Dec 2019

Three months ago I got into a discussion with a friend who has been vegan for a couple of years now, an animal lover with a conscience. I thought I should at least give it a try but not so extreme, I went vegetarian. two months were enough for me, I'd upset the wife, a big meat eater, and turned into a methane factory. A trip into Norfolk at the weekend started me thinking of it again. On the way we passed sheep, cows and several pig farms. What would happen to all these animals if we all went vegan? The only reason for all these animals is to support our food chain. We couldn't just let them go free as we would need the land to produce our vegetables, and we certainly couldn't let them feed on that produce. What would we do with them?

wee eddie 13:24 10 Dec 2019

If all of us stopped farming animals, almost all upland and hill farming would cease.

What would happen to all that land then, is debateable, but it is not suitable for arable farming. Almost all of it would end up as miles of bracken or, possibly rhododendron, both of which are extremely unfriendly to wildlife.

Pablo de Catio 14:50 10 Dec 2019

To follow on from wee eddie

They say that 70% of all agricultural land is just suitable for grass, the soil is so poor. To improve it would need vast amounts of animal excrement, slurry, manure and high rates of nitrogen.

You will still need to keep cows and pigs. Milking cows keep us in erm milk. The by product of pigs give us many things. From chewing gum, cosmetics, shaving cream, human heart valves, insulin, floor wax. The list goes on.

canarieslover 15:27 10 Dec 2019

Pablo de Catio - Having seen your list of products from pigs I'm surprised that I didn't think of insulin as my father was a diabetic, though he was allergic to pig's insulin. I think it was sheep insulin he had to have though it was a long time ago so I can't be sure. How would a vegan diabetic be treated? Is there a synthetic insulin they could use?

Gordon Freeman 17:53 10 Dec 2019

You will still need to keep cows and pigs. Milking cows keep us in erm milk. The by product of pigs give us many things. From chewing gum, cosmetics, shaving cream, human heart valves, insulin, floor wax. The list goes on.

Not sure about vegetarians, but vegans don't drink milk & the ones I've known don't wear leather shoes, chew gum, or even eat haribo sweets. Not sure about the other stuff which you mention, but suspect they would avoid all of those, with the possible exception of a heart valve.

Do you recall the debacle about the new polymer notes which came out & the vegan outrage because the notes contained traces of animal fat?

Menzie 19:02 10 Dec 2019

I have a few family members that have become Vegan. I've tried a few of their dishes as well as their version of things like sausages, chicken, etc. It actually is quite good.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Smartphone is Dead

Celebrate all those times brands took a stand (for good PR)

New iPad Pro (2020) release date, price & specs rumours

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio Lightning (2020)