if its not broke dont fix it ..........

MJS WARLORD 13:00 01 Dec 2018

How many of you have got something that does not work properly just because somebody decided to make unnecessary changes and what do you have that refuses to co-operate with what you want to do. Here are mine...…

Yet another Samsung tablet firmware update yesterday and now the background colours have changed as well as other things , too many to list here. Note you cant stop them cos if you do they will download in the background

Go to google play store and look at what users say about games and apps , the most common comment is "for a previous version" this actually means it worked perfect until somebody updated it.

The above also applies to pc games layouts and utility type software. People who post comments say things like buy the previous version before its discontinued. I have a Panasonic camera and the software was perfect until it was updated , the option to edit a piece of video no longer works since an updated version was given to me. Re-installing made no difference because like a lot of stuff it auto updates in the background so you cant reject it.

When my free view box gets an update it sometimes boxes access to what is on the hard drive. I know the programs are their because of hard drive used space but if I look at the "recorded" menu the screen is blank.The only option you have is to format the drive and loose everything , a couple of workmates told me this sometimes happens on skybox's and they have paid for stuff they cant watch.

Many years ago a garage TRIED but failed to get me to pay for an update to my Peugeot estate 306 engine management, they said if I don't have it they wont be held responsible for any damage done to my car. I just said it worked ok before you rang me so leave it alone.

Belatucadrus 21:53 01 Dec 2018

I turned off auto update on Android apps years ago, as you say all too often the updates added complexity you never asked for, were slower and less stable.

Cymro. 12:07 02 Dec 2018

MJS WARLORD Many years ago a garage TRIED but failed to get me to pay for an update to my Peugeot estate 306 engine management, they said if I don't have it they wont be held responsible for any damage done to my car. I just said it worked ok before you rang me so leave it alone.

Obviously you know all about I.T. I only hope your knowledge of cars is as good. It takes a brave man to argue with the experts.

MJS WARLORD 12:24 02 Dec 2018

Hi Cymro , with regards to my car comment my argument was its working ok now so why change how it functions , hence my post title , if its not broke don't fix it.

Cymro. 12:41 02 Dec 2018

MJS WARLORD if its not broke don't fix it.

I only wish I had taken heed of such advice many is the time I have ruined something or other by tinkering with it. Thank goodness for System Restore

MJS WARLORD 13:10 02 Dec 2018

System restore is good but their are some things that it cant fix. I once used a cleaning tool by a firm called toni arts , its no longer around. It was designed to get rid of duplicate folders to free up hard drive space. As the program ran it put up on screen what it was doing , it was even listing alleged duplicate files and folders in my games !!!!

I could not stop it running and more alarming it did not show me the end result and say yes or no it just deleted what it said was not wanted . It had done too much damage for system restore to help me.

When ever I buy a new pc I always keep my old one as a test rig , if something goes wrong on it I don't put that item on my new one.

Old Deuteronomy 14:55 02 Dec 2018

I've used System Restore, sometimes it actually works!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixel Slate review

Brian Cox-branded beer brings Big Bang beauty to bottles

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment jouer à des jeux de PS2 et PS3 sur PS4 ?