If it works in Norway then why not in the U.K.?

Cymro. 11:15 07 Feb 2018

BBC link

This one turned up on the Today program this morning and I thought then it was a better way to sort out at least part of our recycling problem. From the BBC link I see that there is talk of the U.K. adopting something similar. Now no doubt some will be against paying a deposit when buying bottled water. But we must try something and this idea seems to work very well in Norway so why not in the U.K.?

john bunyan 11:40 07 Feb 2018

Agreed! BTW interesting as they are, all your opening links are from the BBC!

oresome 12:11 07 Feb 2018

The growing trend is for food groceries to be delivered, so there will have to be a process for the delivery driver to take away the empties.

We will then have the potential problem of old bottles contaminating fresh foodstuff, although at present I see delivery drivers stacking food crates on the ground outside the van.

Belatucadrus 12:13 07 Feb 2018

Back in the day there were deposits on Ribena and Corona bottles. As a child it always seemed amazing that somebody would give you cold hard cash for an empty bottle, great boost to the pocket money. Long overdue a return to focus the minds of those that "Don't do recyclin too busy aint I".

Cymro. 12:22 07 Feb 2018

john bunyan all your opening links are from the BBC! Yes they are John no particular reason I usually click on the BBC as good a place as any for news and usually find something of interest to post on the Forum.

canarieslover 16:55 07 Feb 2018

As a pensioner I would welcome it. I would be able to supplement my pension, tax free I might add, with a walk through our local parks and woods. Great idea!!

BT 17:26 07 Feb 2018

The growing trend is for food groceries to be delivered, so there will have to be a process for the delivery driver to take away the empties.

Its hard enough to get them to take back the empty carrier bags. They're supposed to ask but rarely do.

I pay 40p a week to have my groceries in carrier bags. It makes it easier for me to unload from the crates, but they're supposed to take them back for recycling if required, but usually have to be reminded.

Quickbeam 17:28 07 Feb 2018

"...great boost to the pocket money."

Today's kids are too well off. They won't event take an abandoned supermarket trolley back for the quid... I would even now!

Govan1x 17:46 07 Feb 2018

Easy solution would be to bottle it. Or stop selling it in plastic bottles and let the local councils install water fountains again instead.

oresome 20:46 07 Feb 2018

As a pensioner I would welcome it. I would be able to supplement my pension, tax free I might add, with a walk through our local parks and woods. Great idea!!

Oh I'm not starting that again!

As a lad I used to go round the posh estate across the road with an old pram, knocking on doors and asking for any empty pop bottles they didn't want.

I then wheeled the pram round several corner shops asking if they'd take any of the bottles. I even called at the fish & chip shop and traded bottles for a bag of chips.

octal 07:24 08 Feb 2018

All very loadable, but a few things that haven't been mentioned, it's taken Norway over 20 years to get to the point where they can recycle 97% of bottles. Who is going to pay to put the infrastructure in? The local councils won't, they are already strapped for cash, they already have difficulty dealing with the present waste problem. I don't think central government will because their cash might have to go towards propping up failing contractors.

Sorry, the way the UK operates it ain't gonna happen, not in my lifetime anyway.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Test : les écouteurs Bluetooth Honor xSport AM61