If ever a person deserved to receive an honour...

Forum Editor 14:28 06 Jan 2017
  bumpkin 15:04 06 Jan 2017

That is the kind of people that should be getting them, not the rich and famous just because of who the are or who they know. The whole thing has become a farce.

Teabag. 17:29 06 Jan 2017

Jill deserved to be honoured while she was still alive.

Teabag. 18:03 06 Jan 2017

spider9~2

I said she deserved the honour while still alive. I know she was shunned while campaigning and had to fight the establishment.

old fruit.

morddwyd 19:43 06 Jan 2017

She has been honoured, by the respect and admiration for her stance throughout the country, and by the gratitude of those of her sex who benefited from her courage.

Don't detract from her memory by bemoaning the lack of a meaningless bit of ribbon, or by comparing her to an athlete or footballer.

Forum Editor 19:50 06 Jan 2017

It's impossible to imagine what Jill went through on the night she was raped, and equally impossible to imagine the horrific impact of the judge's stupid and offensive statement in court that her ordeal "had not been so great".

That she was later able to forgive her attackers, and devote the rest of her life to speaking about her experience and campaigning for rape victims was quite remarkable.

That she was never honoured for her work is a complete disgrace, and the fact that Victoria Beckham is to be awarded the O.B.E. for her charity work makes the omission even worse. I'm sure that Victoria deserves her success in the fashion business, and I'm sure that she has done a lot for HIV/AIDS charities, but it isn't quite the same thing is it?

Forum Editor 19:55 06 Jan 2017

morddwyd

"Don't detract from her memory by bemoaning the lack of a meaningless bit of ribbon, or by comparing her to an athlete or footballer."

Point totally missed, I see. I suggest that you look up the word 'pompous' in the dictionary. How do you know that Jill was "...honoured, by the respect and admiration for her stance throughout the country, and by the gratitude of those of her sex who benefited from her courage."

I'll bemoan and compare as much as I like, thanks - and the meaningless bit of ribbon you refer to is tangible evidence that a person has rendered an important service to the nation, as are the letters after their name - or that should be the case.

morddwyd 09:50 07 Jan 2017

Ooooooo!

Touched a tender point have we?

" How do you know that Jill was "...honoured, " By reading and listening to all the laudable reports, including on this forum, in her memory,

Are you suggesting I am mistaken (it has been known!) and she has not been honoured?

Forum Editor 11:02 07 Jan 2017

"Touched a tender point have we?"

We certainly have.

wee eddie 13:29 07 Jan 2017

As a matter of interest. No one knows whether an Honour was offered.

This is a secret process and no one knows how many refuse but, what I have read in the past few days suggest that she might not have accepted.

Forum Editor 15:38 07 Jan 2017

she might not have accepted

You may well be right. We'll never know now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

How to learn 3D modelling in Blender

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs jeux pour apprendre à coder