Idiotic rules over photography

interzone55 14:23 10 Oct 2011

Man questioned by police for photographing his daughter

A man was approached by shopping centre security, and then questioned by police, for taking photographs of his daughter at an Ice Cream parlour in a shopping centre.

Apparently they have a No Photography policy to "protect the privacy of staff and shoppers", which is rubbish as the place will be crawling with CCTV, so the only place you'll get privacy is the toilets.

interzone55 11:31 11 Oct 2011

Forum Editor

So using anti-terrorism laws doesn't mean you are considered a terrorist. Sorry, but the words sledgehammer and nut spring to mind

Terry Brown 16:05 11 Oct 2011

If every time you wanted to take a photo in an area where the public are around you havd to search out an 'Official', it would end up being like Russia.

Big Brother --Are you Here?

Is that what you want??

Terry

spuds 16:44 11 Oct 2011

If you want to see some videos about this subject, then youtube might have some answers. One particular clip is of a variety of incidents in London, and how security staff and the police dealt with the matter. http://www.snipca.com/x3891

Many years ago I had a photograph taken,that was placed on the covers of cd/dvd and posters, because a 'musical' group were promoting their new album. This was done without my knowledge or permission. It was only when this was brought to the knowledge of my bosses at the time, that objections were raised at a 'higher level'. A few months of huffing and puffing, and the whole subject was eventually dropped. Never was I consulted or asked my opinion, but my bosses and a 'spokes-person' made a meal of the incident.

hssutton 21:19 11 Oct 2011

PHOTOGRAPHY AND THE USE OF COUNTER-TERRORISM POWERS

Scroll down to page 20.

As a photography of many,many years I carry a printout of this in my camera bag, but must say I've never ever been stopped and questioned by the police. As for taking photos in a private place, I always ask first. Remember all shopping malls are private, therefore you must get permission to take photos.

octal 21:29 11 Oct 2011

I'm sure I posted something here, but it seems to have vanished, maybe it wasn't relevant.

spuds 09:18 12 Oct 2011

**'Remember all shopping malls are private, therefore you must get permission to take photos'.

I wonder if you can call any of Tesco's stores a mall, because over the past two weeks, the point of taking photographs in Tesco's was aired on the BBC Watchdog program (it might even be part of this weeks program). People had been taking mobile phone photos of 'suspect' pricing labels, and one person (possibly more) were challenged by Tesco security at one (possibly more) of their stores. Apparently, when this was taken up by Watchdog, Tesco have stated that they have no objections to the public taking photographs in their stores- Feel Free?.

Bingalau 09:47 12 Oct 2011

Taking photo's in a pub. I suggest you ask the licensee because it is probably his home. (It is a public house because he/she allows the public in to buy his/her wares.)

Aitchbee 10:05 12 Oct 2011

Bingalau - I always ask permission, and sometimes if the pub is quiet, I ask one of the staff to take a group photo, with me, in it.It gives them something to do.If in doubt always ask...is my motto.Nobody has dropped my camera yet!

interzone55 12:02 12 Oct 2011

spuds

Good point about Tescos, I've taken photos of incorrect price tickets a number of times in case I've needed to challenge the price at the till.

Always a classic are the "Any two for £3" ranges where one of the products is less than £1.50...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?