Identification longshot/Talking Point Number 24

Brumas 14:49 18 Aug 2007

A fantastic scene on a busy river with plenty of ships tied up. The back offers no clues and some one has trimmed the bottom of the postcard to fit in a picture frame or wallet?

It doesn’t look foreign to me, more like Great Britain or Ireland by the style of the telegraph poles, signal gantries and houses.

click here

TopCat® 14:58 18 Aug 2007

Can't yet spot any signs or lettering anywhere. I would assume the sailing ships have to pass through the middle of that bridge to reach the sea or their upstream berths. TC.

TopCat® 15:10 18 Aug 2007

Just spotted some letters on the roof of the fourth 'warehouse' at top right across the river.

Could be GS 37 or similar. TC.

Pineman100 15:41 18 Aug 2007

I agree with you that UK or Ireland are distinct possibilities. The houses in the foreground do have a bit of an Irish look to them.

Here's a little puzzler. The piers holding up the bridge look much too close together to allow a ship of any size through - even the middle two, which are a bit further apart. It's also difficult to see any kind of mechanism that would lift, slide or rotate the centre span.

And yet there's a large ship moored in the distance, beyond the bridge, and you can just see the bow and fore-mast of another one peering into the right-hand edge of the picture.

So which ship is trapped upstream of the bridge?!

TopCat® 18:06 18 Aug 2007

has to be another navigable inlet which cannot be seen from the photo. As to the location I have to admit to be stumped on this one! TC.

Brumas 18:21 18 Aug 2007

The bridge upstream looks remarkably similar - am I going to actually solve this one myself - if so it will be the first time!!

click here

spuds 19:11 18 Aug 2007

There is steep banking (similar to picture) at Waterford docks click here

Jim Thing 20:05 18 Aug 2007

There seems to be lettering on the canopy(?) of the building with the arched roof just above the lower R/H corner. If I enlarge it a bit and stare at it long enough I can persuade myself that it reads B?RN????GAS CY.

john bunyan 20:38 18 Aug 2007

Could it be Cork in Ireland? Looks vaguely familiar.

john bunyan 20:53 18 Aug 2007

Have a look at the first Google image of "Cork City"

bobbyburtie 21:48 18 Aug 2007

I think your right in thinking it's Waterford

click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

Creative studio Omnibus' brand identity for We Said Enough fights back against sexual misconduct

WWDC history: Apple's product launches since 2005

Espace de stockage : comment libérer de la mémoire sur votre iPhone ?