Identification Longshot and Talking Point 2056

Brumas 20:58 09 Nov 2018

Good Evening All

This is a fine example of the type of shop to be found in most towns and cities in the early 20th century. The shop number is 24 and it is next door to a ‘Chard’ Chemist shop but where?

Fortunately this card came with a lot of ephemera, amongst which was a Pamphlet all about the Scotch Wool & Hosiery Stores listing all their shops in Great Britain and Ireland. There were 7 number 24s in all which I list below.

24 Westgate St IPSWICH

24 Fore St REDRUTH

24 High Street TONBRIDGE

24 Bridge St WALSALL

24 Powis St WOOLWICH SE18

24 High St BARNSTAPLE

24 High St GUILDFORD

don’t ever say I don’t make it easy for you ;o}

Govan1x 21:04 09 Nov 2018

You maybe wrong with that list.

I make it an Old Postcard - Shopfront, Fleming, Reid & Co Ltd, Scotch Wool, Renfrewshire

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:05 09 Nov 2018

None of the above

click here

Brumas 21:30 09 Nov 2018

I have to disagree, the people selling that postcard are only guessing purely because the actual mill is in Renfrewshire.

The scan below, taken from the pamphlet doesn't support that!

Govan1x 21:37 09 Nov 2018

The actual firm were based in Greenock .With 129 shops over the uk.All we have to do is find out what shop it is.

Click here

QuizMan 21:42 09 Nov 2018

I suppose Chard is too easy?

Brumas 21:44 09 Nov 2018

Govan1x, quite so , I have the actual pamphlet which list all the shops and as I stated earlier there are 7 contenders to choose from and there was over 300 branches!!

Brumas 21:46 09 Nov 2018

QuizMan, Chard is not listed in the pamphlet - I do like that word pamphlet, one hardly hears the expression nowadays.

Belatucadrus 00:12 13 Nov 2018

I've street viewed all the 24s listed above and unfortunately if it's one of those, time and town planners have changed it beyond recognition.

Brumas 09:13 13 Nov 2018

Belatucadrus, full marks for your tenacity, thank you.

Forum Editor 10:33 14 Nov 2018

"I do like that word pamphlet"

It has an interesting origin. The word is derived from 'Pamphilet' which was the name used for a 12th century Latin love poem called 'Pamphilus, seu de Amore'. The poem was so popular that it was widely hand copied into as a slim collection of pages sewn together without any hard cover which could be passed from person to person, or sold in taverns.

Around 1387, the word pamphilet appeared in Middle English to describe any slim collection of pages without a cover. Then development of language is a wonderful and fascinating subject.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Create a glowing superhero

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleures prises CPL