The ice cream man cometh and goeth

bumpkin 17:10 12 Sep 2015

Plenty of kids in our street and parents that would buy an overpriced ice cream. Rings the chimes everyday and stops for a short while but unless you are Usain Bolt he will have driven off by the time you have got to your front gate. I fail to understand this unless it is part of their licence agreement to visit certain streets and they do not find ours lucrative enough.

Aitchbee 19:00 12 Sep 2015

Watch Out. It might be the TV-detector-van, in disguise.

bumpkin 19:48 12 Sep 2015

You may well be right, it is called Lucy click here

bumpkin 20:08 12 Sep 2015

I did catch him once which delayed him enough for a queue to form. I would have thought that he would be pleased to sell ice cream at ridculously inflated prices like £3 for exactly that can be bought in a supermarket for 70p or £1.50 in the local shop.

Post edited to remove unacceptable content. FE - 13/09/15

Aitchbee 20:26 12 Sep 2015

bumpkin - in case you missed it last time around.

click here

bumpkin 21:28 12 Sep 2015

Aithbee, thanks for the link I had not seen it. We had an ice cream van many years back that was also selling cigarettes to children of any age and they could just but one or two if that was all they could pay for. That is and was illegal, apart from that I considered it despicable and reported it to the police who were not interested.

Dragon_Heart 02:53 13 Sep 2015

Oh for the days when the Walls Ice Cream man used to peddle round on a trike carrying a insulated container, ringing a hand bell, selling ice creams in rectangular cones with matching ice cream you had to unwrap !

roy170 07:41 13 Sep 2015

As to the glorious days of the Walls ice cream man pedaling around and ringing his bell.

They have probably all been run down by HGV's or buses.

kad292 08:04 13 Sep 2015

Do not be surprised that before long the EU will get their legislative bully boys to put a stop to this quaint tradition of ours as they have with others.

spuds 11:17 13 Sep 2015

"Rings the chimes everyday and stops for a short while but unless you are Usain Bolt he will have driven off by the time you have got to your front gate. I fail to understand this unless it is"...

a cover for alternative activities. Every time our local ice cream van arrives, the person always seems to be on his mobile phone!.

bumpkin 13:22 13 Sep 2015

Dragon_Heart, I remember the ones you refer to albeit vaguely. I may well be wrong here but I think there were 2 choices, a silver one or a gold one, the gold one whilst the same size was creamier and more expensive. Can anyone confirm this in case it is a figment of my imagination.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Eevee! review

Best Black Friday deals for designers and artists 2018

How to use Siri Shortcuts

Les meilleurs SSD