I have seen this ad on the London Underground

Forum Editor 10:30 03 Jan 2018

on numerous occasions, and have always thought the same thing - how can science possibly be involved in romantic love?

The fact that another person might have the same interests as you, or the same character traits, or like the same food or movies surely has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you both fall in love.

I agree with the ASA's ruling.

Cymro. 11:39 03 Jan 2018

F.E. The fact that another person might have the same interests as you, or the same character traits, or like the same food or movies surely has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you both fall in love.

I have been very happily married for over 50 years. It so happens that in our case it was most definitely a case of "opposites attracts". The wife and i have very little in common. Granted we have become more alike in our testes for things such as food, entertainment, places to go and such like. But we are still basically as different as ever in many ways.

So to predict how a marriage will work out is impossible. Some of our friends are like ourselves together for a very long time although we gave them the "it will be over by Christmas" routine we were so very wrong. With others things worked out differently and some of what we thought was the safest marriages ended much too soon.

HondaMan 12:14 03 Jan 2018

Like Cymro, we have been married for almost 46 years and are polar opposites. I am from a methodist background, state educated and worked for the council. My wife was a Londoner, went to the local primary school then educated privately in a convent system. Her parents were both from naval family backgrounds, her maternal grandfather being an admiral and her father a commander. We are still very much individuals and although I hate the expression "soulmate", that is exactly what we are.

Forum Editor 13:51 03 Jan 2018

Both of those posts serve to illustrate the point that a successful relationship has nothing whatever to do with science. We choose our life partners for all kinds of reasons, and as far as I'm aware nobody has ever been able to come up with a formula for success.

Like many couples, my wife and I should never have been scientifically selected for each other because we were remarkably unalike in all kinds of ways. I really couldn't imagine living with someone who shared all of my interests and my character traits - that way lies boredom.

It's very much a case of vive la difference.

As someone once said, "My wife and I have been married for thirty years, and not once have we had a dispute serious enough to make either of us consider divorce. Murder perhaps, but divorce, never."

Old Deuteronomy 14:58 03 Jan 2018

I'm damned sure no dating site would put my wife and I together but, last August we got married after just weeks short of sixteen years together. People don't function according to scientific algorithms.

oresome 15:55 03 Jan 2018

I can see there may be some element of truth in the claim, but validating it wouldn't be easy.

It seems reasonable that some filtering in the selection process would improve on the success of a purely random coupling, not that this occurs of course. The female usually has a strict specification in mind that the male has to meet or at least be capable of attaining with some training.

I can't imagine anyone actually views the advert with anything other than a pinch of salt.

Forum Editor 16:28 03 Jan 2018

oresome

"I can see there may be some element of truth in the claim"

I can't, no matter how hard I try, and nor could the ASA. it's quite obviously misleading to claim that a "scientifically proven matching system decodes the mystery of compatibility" because it hasn't been scientifically proven. if it had, everyone would be using it.

Until I'm confronted with evidence of this scientific proof, I'll continue to view it as misleading waffle. There isn't any evidence - the advertiser would have presented it to the ASA if it existed.

BT 17:33 03 Jan 2018

I met my Wife when she was 16 and I was 25. We got married on her 18th Birthday in 1972 and have got on pretty well ever since. We both like the same sort of TV, never wanted to go out a lot (couldn't afford to in the beginning) and are basically best friends.

Aitchbee 17:53 03 Jan 2018

I'm not all that keen either on commoditising a basic instinct. Love is a mysterious thing.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:27 03 Jan 2018

nobody has ever been able to come up with a formula for success

tolerance

and a certain phrase -

Yes dear, certainly dear, whatever you say dear"

:0)

bumpkin 21:17 03 Jan 2018

nobody has ever been able to come up with a formula for success

Here is one, if they are rich marry them:-)

Joking aside there have been many "explanations", pheremones, chemical reactions etc. Do we really need to know or even want to, just enjoy it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon Prime Day 2018: Best Deals & Launches

The humble pint glass is redesigned from bottoms up by design legend Sir Kenneth Grange

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Quel est le meilleur antivirus pour Windows ?